PDA

View Full Version : My pet peeve of the Board

Skimmerking
10-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Is it me or do some people just post about there tank to Bragg. And not contribute to the board. I was looking at some of the present posts and past posts from members on here.

It just seems that some people are posting just to show off their tank and not care on helping others out or assisting in others of there new set ups.
May be I'm just in a crappy mood. Sorry to vent like this but every since I started on this board back in 2002 I think this board has helped me out so much and the people are amazing. But some reefer here just get on the board to sell something or try to make money and not really give any advice or assistance to any one....:redface:

But i dear say the certain people who i call the most are,
Doug
Gools
Joe Reefer.

They must shake their head at me some days....

thanks every one for listening.:lol:

Bob I
10-10-2006, 11:06 PM
In many respects I agree with you on a number of counts. I have found. however, that when someone offers advice (often something they learned from experience), other people who know very little just argue with that advice.:sad:

Tarolisol
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Recently there are a few threads i have thought the exact same thing. Im pretty sure you are thinking of the same one as me too. But I do enjoy seeing some incredible tanks, somthing for me to strive for. It seems some people just expect the praise and when they dont get it they get message board angry.

christyf5
10-10-2006, 11:28 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/DSCN5965.jpg

:razz:

Skimmerking
10-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Sweet tank Christy:wink:

Tarolisol bulls eye

BOb I agree with you totally

christyf5
10-10-2006, 11:39 PM
In my defense, I live in the sticks and never share my tank with any reefy people (except Chaloupa who was just here the other day :biggrin: ). I do agree that sometimes people aren't much interested in listening to those with experience. Others don't make use of our lovely search function :wink:

Oh and for those that are interested please go HERE (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26506)

689 views and only 29 responses? Come on people, you can do better than that! :wink:

marie
10-10-2006, 11:45 PM
In my defense, I live in the sticks and never share my tank with any reefy people (except Chaloupa who was just here the other day :biggrin: )...

phttt You think you live in the sticks :razz: . I will have to come and stare at your tank some time when I'm over visiting my daughter :biggrin:

Ruth
10-11-2006, 01:46 AM
Double pfft on the sticks things - in a corney Aussie accent "Now that's the sticks". Wanna know how many fellow reefers live at mile 66 of the Alaska Highway?:mrgreen:
Anyway back to the thread - hijacking is totally appropriate for lounge though. I guess people come on the board for different reasons. Some to share and gain knowledge from others, some to buy and sell stuff, some to just lurk and others looking for either praise or to reinforce what they have already decided is the best way to do something. Maybe they are thinking those of us that offer advise are a bunch of know it all SOB's. :twised: :lol:

christyf5
10-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Haha, Ok "stick" statement retracted. Lets just say I live in an area that has a low reefer density (we're talking saltwater here :wink:).

I thought we were a bunch of know it all SOBs (unless we're dealing with electrical problems :razz:)

Chaloupa
10-11-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm with Marie and Christy...we are in the sticks...we don't get much chance to show off and I waited 2 years to show mine off. I always like to look at other tanks as I know I won't get to their house to see them. I find that I learn a lot from viewing their setup and stuff...but I do agree that when you post a picture of your tank or your fish etc that you should be prepared to get the good the bad and the ugly comments or in some cases none at all.

I find it offensive when someone does post their tank, which is their pride and joy and people hack it with no value. How about giving IME or IMO suggestions instead?

I think that I have learned what I have to date because of the help of the people that do contribute to furthering the reef hobby for others and read all of the posts and add their 2 cents. I know I read almost every post on the board as I may get a little bit more out of it.

P.S. Christy's tank is awesome! It was really nice to be able to see her tanks. And thanks again for "frag-sitting"

P.S.S. Ok yah Ruth you got us beat on the "sticks" part of it...but if I am EVER in your area I will expect an invite!

Ruth
10-11-2006, 02:17 AM
P.S.S. Ok yah Ruth you got us beat on the "sticks" part of it...but if I am EVER in your area I will expect an invite![/QUOTE]

Invite is open to all - hey I should host a reef meet!:idea: I might have to be the only one to bring cookies but I will get to eat them all myself! And I can frag swap - from one tank to the other (I've got 7 going at the moment). Hell I can probably even put my conspic or goldflake angel up as the door prize and I'll WIN bwaaahahahah

Seriously if anyone is ever up in this neck of the woods please drop me a line and come by for a visit.

Delphinus
10-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Ruth you gotta post some pics!! I'd love to see your goldflake angel.

Chaloupa
10-11-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm in if your Conspic or Goldflake angel are door prizes :lol: just name the date Ha ha ha!

Ruth
10-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Tony you are probably just setting me up ............but ........ here is a picture of my favorite fish. Posted in a totally self serving mode that everyone can enjoy and tell me what a beautiful fish it is heheheh.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/IMG_344721-1.jpg

Chaloupa
10-11-2006, 04:00 AM
YAY a picture from Ruth...he is beautiful!

Jason McK
10-11-2006, 04:19 AM
LOL this is the funniest thread I've ever read

hawk
10-11-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is? I like seeing threads about different people's set-ups, and if theres pictures even better. If there were only threads asking for help, almost all questions could be answered with a search. That would make for a pretty boring board wouldn't it?

more1020
10-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Dont worry, maybe he is just in a crappy mood as he said.

As long as members are coming back to this site, there is no problem at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Farrmanchu
10-11-2006, 06:25 AM
I think the thread was hijacked. I believe what he was refering to was those who post pics and FS items, but don't participate when someone has a question/concern. It happens.

Joe Reefer
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
He's just a big baby. :mrgreen:

Nice fish Ruth.

Delphinus
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Tony you are probably just setting me up ............but ........ here is a picture of my favorite fish. Posted in a totally self serving mode that everyone can enjoy and tell me what a beautiful fish it is heheheh.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/IMG_344721-1.jpg

Great looking fish Ruth! :) Thanks for sharing!

GMGQ
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I totally agree that it gives us something to strive for. Seeing their nice tanks will provoke the rest of us to as "How'd you do dat??" And so a discussion about their setup will ensue.

Recently there are a few threads i have thought the exact same thing. Im pretty sure you are thinking of the same one as me too. But I do enjoy seeing some incredible tanks, somthing for me to strive for. It seems some people just expect the praise and when they dont get it they get message board angry.

Ruth
10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I think the thread was hijacked.

What hijacked? No way - not possible - well maybe - OK I did it - I'm sorry - sorta - Mike.

Farrmanchu
10-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Hijacked in a comical way I must admit.:lol:

SuperFudge
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Did i mention latley just how much i love you guys ?

Skimmerking
10-12-2006, 02:09 AM
:rofl:

Hey Fudge no man I love you

Ruth
10-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Hey you guys are hijacking my hijack:mrgreen: And creeping me out too.

marie
10-12-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey you guys are hijacking my hijack:mrgreen: And creeping me out too.

:rofl:

Dale
10-12-2006, 04:48 AM
There goes fudge, getting all the love.

Not to hijack the thread from the hijackers but.. My pet peeve, if I had one, would be the occasional lack of discourse regarding alternative tank designs or theories. Of course the MH lighting, wavemakers, OM's, brandname powerheads etc... are all nice but they don't always spark the imagination. Sometimes it's a little too much "pouring money into the tank buying all the toys someone thinks you should have." I find this particularily in discussions regarding flow (you know - the gal from alices resteraunt).

I guess I remember the good old days (insert violin music here) when folk, hard working decent fishfolk, without a nickel to spare between em, had to whip pieces of equipment up out of thin air, sometimes using old fence posts and barbed wire too...

anyways, that's only if I had a peeve, which I don't - cause nobody likes a poopy pants.
________
Suzuki GSX-R750 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R750)

G1GY
10-12-2006, 05:32 PM
My pet peeve is hearing that others have pet peeve's. :)