PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Weight?

Jaws
10-10-2006, 07:19 PM
So I've already got a 180G tank with about 30G of water in the sump on the third floor of a new condo building. The tank is set up so the weight is spread out running perpendicular to the floor joists plus it is located against a retaining wall that divides my suite with my neighbours suite. The contractor and myself came up with the placement together to ensure the floor would hold it. The window on the outside of the building is perpendicular to the wall between me and my neighbour. In the corner in between the window wall and the wall between me and my neighbour there is about 4 to 5 feet of space which I would like to fill with a stand to hold a few different levels of tanks. One for a denitrification bucket, one for a topoff, and one for a refugium. The total weight should be just under 1000lbs. The total weight of my 180G tank is about 3000lbs so this would total about 4000lbs over about a 16 foot area of floor joists on a retaining wall, plus the new stand will be pushed into the corner of the retaining wall and the outside wall. I hope this all makes sense.

Can anyone comment on whether or not they feel this will be ok or not and why?

DanG
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I think you should be fine. What are the dimensions of the 180? 72x24x24? That's 12 square feet for 3000lbs, which is only 250lbs per square foot, which is what I weigh and I don't have a fear of falling through the floor.

Jaws
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I like that answer. The tank is 72X24X24 and with the stand measures 76.5 inches tall. The new stand for the refuge etc is also 76.5 inches tall and has a footprint of 32" by 28". I can't believe how solid it's built too. I think I went a little overboard but better that than the other. Anyone else have an opinion they want to share?

KrazyKuch
10-10-2006, 10:39 PM
So this condo is a complete wood structure.......you should be fine, you have all the weight right close to load bearing walls!!

Jaws
10-10-2006, 11:46 PM
The building is a complete wood structure but also has two inches of concrete in between floors for soundproofing. This is good because it helps to distribute the weight more evenly but bad because it adds more weight.

Aquattro
10-11-2006, 12:35 AM
You have insurance, right? :)

Jaws
10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Ya, I do. I'm more worried about the little old ladies that live below me though. I'd hate to drop a house on them... There's no place like home. What do you think about the weight Brad?

clipperfish
10-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Jaws . One of my Clients is a structional engineer. He tells me that all condo and apartment (that are made of wood even with 2 inches of concrete for sound proofing) .rate at 40lbs constant. And all concrete buildings are 50 lbs constant. He told me that the way my stand is built it should not be put on the second the second floor ,Because i have only six 2x4 for legs , he said if i was to put in more 2x4 I can move up to the second floor because that would lower the amount of weight that is being put down on the floor per sq. ft. Hope this helps some .

revgeoff
10-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Your floor can hold a lot of weight...as long as it is spread out. You will not have a problem with 3000lbs spread over 12 square feet. I had the same question and a friend of mine talked to some engineers at his worksite and they pretty much laughed at the concept of 1500lbs going through the floor when it is spread out over 8 square feet.
I'll get a hold of the guy again and send you the standard joyce weight limits....its pretty high per square foot.

i2ik
10-12-2006, 03:26 AM
I just had to go through the same question as i am making my new tank which is 96" long. The floor is over the garage and its in cement. A civil engineer came to my place, look at the plans and made all the calculator to see if the floor can support the floor. I had previously a 180G tank and now going for 420 + sump for around 600G. After calculation, he told me that my 180G was already overweight, even if it was holding, with time, it might have been dangerous. For my next tank, there will be a jack post in the garage to support the weight, actually 2 to make sure.

Jaws
10-12-2006, 06:03 AM
I'll get a hold of the guy again and send you the standard joyce weight limits....its pretty high per square foot.

That'd be great. I'd be interested to hear his opinion too. Thanks guys.

Funky_Fish14
10-12-2006, 06:48 AM
I think I recall my Dad (Engineer) mentioning a possible 300lb load per square foot spread out like a tank would do should be fine? I wouldnt be surprised if your condo could handle double your current loading. If the 180 was OK'd by the contractor, I wouldnt even worry about the new stand since it will be in the corner.

Chris

revgeoff
10-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Ok, sorry it took so long to get back to you but I am having computer difficulties at home (hope nobody at work notices that I what I am doing). A joyce is supposed to be able to support over 1000lbs per square foot. Now that is before you start adding everything (like concreate floor) onto it. Also, my friend was told that the length of the joyce and support will also determine how much weight you can have over the entire length of the joyce. Anyway, with the description of the dimensions of your tank, and the fact that it is against a load bearing wall you should be fine.

Jaws
10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys. I don't sleep much now anyways because I've got over 200G and over 3000lbs of water on the third floor. What's another lost hour?