PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy....

danny zubot
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Calgary to buy re-fill filters and Di beeds for Aquasafe RODI units?

Or, can someone give me the phone number or email address for Aquasafe out in Burnaby, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Matt
10-10-2006, 07:28 PM
aquasafe@uniserve.com

"PLEASE use e-mail.Our number is 604-922-3030 if you absolutely HATE e-mail. "

^^^^
From their catalog page at www.aquasafecanda.com/2006catalog.html (http://www.aquasafecanda.com/2006catalog.html)

Matt

danny zubot
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
thanks Matt.

albert_dao
10-11-2006, 02:18 AM
You might want to read into a better brand of membrane like FilmTec.

danny zubot
10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Why?

albert_dao
10-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Because Aquasafe units use membranes that are rated for higher pressure than residential use. Therefore, they aren't as efficient (more waste water, crap out earlier).

medican
10-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Because Aquasafe units use membranes that are rated for higher pressure than residential use. Therefore, they aren't as efficient (more waste water, crap out earlier).

The filters that came with your Aquasafe RO/DI unit are made by Dow, as well as the FilmTec. Now we are talking about the ro/di filter itself the one that will determine your waste water %. Both of these filters are tested @ 50 psi(so much for lower pressures) and a norm for house pressures are about 20-25psi, but can be lower. As with all ro/di filters they sell a booster pump or even better a
Permeate Pump (needs no power) to increase the efficiency of your filter. All of the filters will work better (less waste water) at a higher pressure (the more water you can push through the better it filters).

The longevity of your filters is in the amount of water used and the starting TDS(amount it needs to filter). I change my filters about every 18 months when the TDS goes from 0 to about 2. using a ton of water for top-up, water changes and drinking as well as ice. So...so much for craping out...... What you need to know is a flush once in a while helps to maintain your filters.

But I bet you can buy FilmTec at Gold's.

To replace your filters....
I saw what your looking for on E-Bay but I would think there should be someplace closer.

Sebae
10-26-2006, 06:08 AM
House pressure is normally 60 psi., if you are on city water.A pressure reducing valve previously was required on watermains when pressure exceeded 85 psi. now they are mandatory. If you have low pressure your PRV may be faulty or in need of adjustment

albert_dao
10-26-2006, 06:25 AM
The filters that came with your Aquasafe RO/DI unit are made by Dow, as well as the FilmTec. Now we are talking about the ro/di filter itself the one that will determine your waste water %. Both of these filters are tested @ 50 psi(so much for lower pressures) and a norm for house pressures are about 20-25psi, but can be lower. As with all ro/di filters they sell a booster pump or even better a
Permeate Pump (needs no power) to increase the efficiency of your filter. All of the filters will work better (less waste water) at a higher pressure (the more water you can push through the better it filters).

The longevity of your filters is in the amount of water used and the starting TDS(amount it needs to filter). I change my filters about every 18 months when the TDS goes from 0 to about 2. using a ton of water for top-up, water changes and drinking as well as ice. So...so much for craping out...... What you need to know is a flush once in a while helps to maintain your filters.

But I bet you can buy FilmTec at Gold's.

To replace your filters....
I saw what your looking for on E-Bay but I would think there should be someplace closer.

I enjoy your sarcasm, but no, you cannot buy Filmtec's at Gold Aquariums. You actually can't buy ANY membranes at Gold Aquariums other than the sh1tty Coralife's ATM.

In anycase, I'm not going to dig up my support evidence, because, EVIDENTLY, it will probably be flat out denied.

Thx

EmilyB
10-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Danny, if you need some filters, DI, etc in a hurry, I have some on hand from Aqua safe. Let me know.

EmilyB
10-26-2006, 06:32 AM
In anycase, I'm not going to dig up my support evidence, because, EVIDENTLY, it will probably be flat out denied.

Thx

Hey, let's see it Albert. Don't withhold your valuable information.

Matt
10-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I enjoy your sarcasm, but no, you cannot buy Filmtec's at Gold Aquariums. You actually can't buy ANY membranes at Gold Aquariums other than the sh1tty Coralife's ATM.

ThxWow, the quality of debate has gotten to all-time lows. Person A makes an unsupported statement. Person B makes a sideways ad-hominem attack on person A (who has not got a reputation that suggests same is deserved). Person A refuses to support his statement, because we'll ignore it anyway.

Sheesh.

christyf5
10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Play nice kids or Aunt Christy will have to lay the smack down :wink:

danny zubot
10-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Albert, give me a link or something to research the filters please. My decision will probalbly be based on buying quantities. Right now I can't fnd the filters in singles, only bulk.

Unless someone else wants to split an order with me?

Edit> Deb I just read you post. you have PM.

Tarolisol
10-26-2006, 08:51 PM
But I bet you can buy FilmTec at Gold's

This is the reason so many threads get closed, a useless comment that does nothing but spirt animosity. You have no backing to your claim of albert ever pushing people to shop at golds. Because he doesnt do that. All he did was try to add a element of discusion to a discusion board. For shame albert for shame. I think you owe him an apology.

medican
10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
This is the reason so many threads get closed, a useless comment that does nothing but spirt animosity. You have no backing to your claim of albert ever pushing people to shop at golds. Because he doesnt do that. All he did was try to add a element of discusion to a discusion board. For shame albert for shame. I think you owe him an apology.

It takes two to tango and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I would not step out on a limb, if there was nothing to support it.

I think that is all that needs to be said in this matter.

albert_dao
10-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Sure, go to Reefcentral, look up RO membranes and Ebay units.

If one is still skeptical at that point, just PM one of the SpectraPure staff (or any other RO vendor on there for that matter) and they'll provide you with third party data for and against certain membranes.

I know I used an Aquasafe membrane at the store for a while and it was garbage. Switched it with a quality membrane that I ordered from another vendor and all is now well.

Delphinus
10-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Aquasafe may be decent enough quality for all I know. But try to talk to guy selling them, 1) will only accept paypal payments, which is ridiculous, 2) very difficult to get ahold of, gets annoyed if you actually get ahold of him by phone, i.e., you must direct all correspondence to them via email, and every response will just redirect you back to their ebay webpage since apparently it answers any question worthy of asking anyhow, and if your questions aren't answered there then obviously they're just stupid. Now pay up with paypal! Sorry, fly-by-night outfits don't deserve our business, vendors who support their customers with good customer service get my business. If it costs me $20 more than some ebay nonsense then so be it. At least I have recourse in the event that something isn't 100%.

EmilyB
10-27-2006, 06:19 AM
I've never had any problem with Aquasafe and I hardly think they are fly by night after this long. I just order and it comes in. It took a while to just get on his plan with conversion to Canadian by myself, but that wasn't too tough. He is obviously a bit eccentric, but if I get what I order quickly, I'm happy. The membranes are put through hell here, probably 350g per month.

aussiefishy
10-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I have used Aquasafe for more than 2.5 years. and my experience has been more than terrific. i am not sure which is better than which, but 1 thing i am certain is that i use roughly 100 gallons/week from the unit and i measure my TDS bi-weekly. the RO membrane so last up to 1 year before i replace it, (when my TDS is up to 5ppm), and my DI Beads have not been turned color fully yet. My initial water read about 230-350 ppm TDS. output is 3-8ppm

1. the cost per unit in comparision to others, is the absolute lowest - hence, cheapest upstart cost. The product quality MIGHT not be the absolute best, but i do think it is comparable to a 500-600 unit from GE Systems or other $500 up range DRINKING/human compsumtion units.

2. i have excellent support from the staff at Aquasafe, their quality of the product seems ok to me.

3. efficency/output rate has ALOT to do with input water pressure and temperature, also the water quality. I do know different area in canada have different water parameters, but in the area where i live, it is fine...

last i am not too picky of a guy, as long as it works in a set variance, i am happy with it, but generally speaking, the Aquasafe RO/DI unit IS the best money i have spent for my hobby so far...

I know there are alot of users ion calgary and vancouver area that are happy with their product and support. and that is why i bought it at the first place.

just my 2 cents.

Eric.

Delphinus
10-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok, so I visited their webpage, aquasafecanada.com. I see they've come a long long way from their ebay days, so I'll take back the fly-by-night comment.

I see that it looks like they accept payments other than paypal now. That's a step in the right direction .. if I needed RO/DI supplies I might then consider them.

But I still see prices in USD. Which to me seems a bit odd seeing as the webpage is aquasafeCANADA.com. I'm sorry, that's still just... dumb.

But obviously they have a winning formula to have such fierce customer loyalty.. they must be doing something right.

Matt
10-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I have used Aquasafe for more than 2.5 years. and my experience has been more than terrific. i am not sure which is better than which, but 1 thing i am certain is that i use roughly 100 gallons/week from the unit and i measure my TDS bi-weekly. the RO membrane so last up to 1 year before i replace it, (when my TDS is up to 5ppm), and my DI Beads have not been turned color fully yet. My initial water read about 230-350 ppm TDS. output is 3-8ppm

1. the cost per unit in comparision to others, is the absolute lowest - hence, cheapest upstart cost. The product quality MIGHT not be the absolute best, but i do think it is comparable to a 500-600 unit from GE Systems or other $500 up range DRINKING/human compsumtion units.

2. i have excellent support from the staff at Aquasafe, their quality of the product seems ok to me.

3. efficency/output rate has ALOT to do with input water pressure and temperature, also the water quality. I do know different area in canada have different water parameters, but in the area where i live, it is fine...

last i am not too picky of a guy, as long as it works in a set variance, i am happy with it, but generally speaking, the Aquasafe RO/DI unit IS the best money i have spent for my hobby so far...

I know there are alot of users ion calgary and vancouver area that are happy with their product and support. and that is why i bought it at the first place.

just my 2 cents.

Eric.
Quoted for truth.

albert_dao
10-28-2006, 04:38 AM
I dunno, I'm thinking to myself:

http://aquasafecanada.com/products.htm

The middle one (Aquarium 100 GPD system) @ 144.50 USD = 161.67 + shipping.

VS. A comparable SpectraPure unit @ $230 CAD

Of note:

- They use a verticle DI cartridge instead of a horizontal cartridge. That's a huge increase towards efficiency since there's no gravity-induced bypass.

- The canisters are CLEAR.

- Those hoses are all clamped down. I have an Aquasafe unit and the hoses are EVERYWHERE. It's completely unsightly and I've had to spend an additional investment of time (half an hour) and money ($10 + gas) searching for hose clamps to keep everything down.

- SpectraPure uses 75 GPD membranes, Aquasafe units use 100 GPD cartridges. What's the big deal? About 8% rejection rate! That's huge! We're talking about reducing the life of the DI resin by something like 40% here (personal communication via RC).

- SpectraPure uses some kinda proprietary blend of DI resin which is patent pending. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but my Aquasafe DI resin + membrane produced a TDS 35. All the SpectraPure users I know, and I know lots, have a TDS of 0 (zero).

So yeah, you save like $50 after all is said and done, but what's $50 over the lifetime of the unit?

albert_dao
10-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Or hell, screw the SpectraPure:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/rounits.php?product_ID=ro-afb075

Not as good as the SpectraPure, IMO, but here's a vendor OTHER than me who sells quality RO units.

Here's a few more:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SP4stage

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Aquafxro

http://mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/ROSP-MPDI-60.html?L+scstore+cvgr7203ff964796+1162013967

Meh...

EmilyB
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I'm not exactly sure what that means, but my Aquasafe DI resin + membrane produced a TDS 35

Not sure I understand. You mean your output reads that? Mine is always zero, until I need filters replaced of course.

EmilyB
10-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Albert, you are not sounding like a responsible vendor, I'm sorry. I have been wanting to say that for so long.

albert_dao
10-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh? What do I sound like? Perhaps an opinionated hobbyist? Cause that's what I am.

Let's get something straight, I am not the owner of Gold Aquariums; I am a student and I do not make commision. I have no weird, greedy and evil alterior motive to blasting a brand that I do not feel is of high quality. If you want to continue to purchase Aquasafe products, that's fine with me, but some people out there do not have RO units and I think the RESPONSIBLE thing to do, vendor or otherwise, is to present the facts on the table for those people.

albert_dao
10-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Not sure I understand. You mean your output reads that? Mine is always zero, until I need filters replaced of course.

Yes, that was my output from the offset of running my unit. From there, it was just a slow decay in performance until I replaced the membrane and resin with a different brand.

Moogled
10-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Albert, you are not sounding like a responsible vendor, I'm sorry. I have been wanting to say that for so long.

Why feel sorry for something which you obviously had enough stones to come out and say?

Albert is essentially saying "buy X membrane - - this is why". Why make this such a difficult topic by being sarcastic and making snide remarks towards him? If you want to smack talk, do it with your MSN buddies, don't sabotage danny_zubot's thread.

As shown in his previous posts, all Albert has done is provide extra information; not robbing you of your wallets by propagandizing a certain product.

Learn.