PDA

View Full Version : who uses Hanna phosphate meter

Willito
10-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Like to hear from user experiences with this Photometer: HI 93713. Was it worth it and is it consistantly accurrate everytime?

kwirky
10-10-2006, 07:24 AM
what's the point of a phosphate meter, when you can run an iron based phosphate remover, like rowaphos, or phosban, and never have to worry about it... unless you want some phosphate in your water?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm

Ruth
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I have one and use it occasionally. I consider it fairly accurate but the only comparison that I can give is to a Salifert test kit. I will consistently get a 0 reading with the Salifert test and it has shown up as high as 3 on the Hanna.

Delphinus
10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Interesting. I wonder if the meter can measure organic phosphates as opposed to the inorganic phosphates that get measured by the test kits. If so then that would be awesome.

(If I remember my reef chemistry {which I might not, but, ...} Supposedly test kits can only test for INorganic phosphate, whereas the problem phosphates in our tanks is the organic phosphate. We test our tanks in the hope/assumption that there is some correlation between the two in suspension {which might be a BIG assumption}.)

Even if the meter measured the same thing as the test kits, and one ran rowasphos/phosban it might still be worthwhile tool to tell you when it's time to replace the media. I guess it depends on how expensive the tool is though.

Willito
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
using phosphate remover in one thing, but knowing how much is in your water is another. By the way, zero level of phosphate is not ideal for a healthy reef environment.