PDA

View Full Version : brown algae

clair
10-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone can help out here. I've rescently set-up a 60g tank(2 weeks) A grey lava rock approx 10-15lbs is used as base & 20lbs of live rock. I'm getting this brown algae growing what seems like by the minute all over the sand bed & LR. I've got a canister filter with carbon, a maxijet 900 for water flow. Is it possible that the algae is coming from the lava rock's chemical make-up? It's got alot of differnt shiny blues & greens in it(lava rock)

scub steve
10-10-2006, 06:19 AM
sounds like diatoms happens in most new systems be patient they will go away just clean them off and change water every two weeks

Flusher
10-10-2006, 06:33 AM
I had a bad case of diatoms when I recently set up my new tank, too. My sailfin blenny cleaned off my rocks in a couple days. Get some snails or something to churn the substrate and that will help.
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

maron6977
10-10-2006, 07:36 AM
I set my 108 up in August . I had the same prob.It's finally starting to get better . I try to keep the light to a minimum. I think the algae is partly due to the "new" water . I notice more growth after a water change . I try and keep everything as clean as possible and change only the min. I have tried gravel cleaning just skimming the top .Works good. Good Luck Mark.
P.S. I remember my 55 Reef did the same thing I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple more months to cycle.

frostiex
10-16-2006, 06:44 PM
I have had that happen before on my 33G that I took down, but eventually they gone away. does anyone know if this process always happens?

What contribute to it? I heard it had to do with the water.

Flusher
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Diatoms are just part of the "breaking in" cycle of a tank. I noticed when I tore apart and set up my tanks again, only the new rock and substrate was really affected by the diatoms. I'm pretty sure they go away on their own, but they go away faster by removing them (manually or with algae-eaters).
________
CHILDREN PAXIL (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Joe Reefer
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I thought I read somewhere not to use lava rock in salt tanks. Can someone confirm. :neutral:

Bob I
10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I have had that happen before on my 33G that I took down, but eventually they gone away. does anyone know if this process always happens?

What contribute to it? I heard it had to do with the water.

Yes is the answer. I have never set up a new tank without the brown algae showing up. Many call them diatoms, however, to me it is just brown algae. It always goes away.:mrgreen:

goby1
10-17-2006, 04:39 AM
I didn't get any algae in my 46 g when I set it up. But then, looking at my log, I cycled the rock in the tank barebottom and did 2 or 3 water changes a week for 2 weeks and then a big water change before I put the sand in. I think I used tap water for the initial set up and then I've used a rinky dink filter that you hook up to your tap since. It was some work initally but then I didn't get the dreaded algae so it paid off for me. Even now 2 years later I don't get much in the way of algae (except the coraline stuff) and I have a white sand bed (thanks to a star fish and various snails I suppose). ... knock on wood though. I only have the 50/50 96w pc lighting though and that probably has a lot to do with it. Add a little light here and there and I might have green soup, who knows.