PDA

View Full Version : Gbeef's MINIBOW 7gal

gbeef
10-10-2006, 01:24 AM
We'll finally i got my nano up and running. its been about 2 months now and i've finally installed all the hardware i need to get this thing automated.
anyways here are some shots of my tank. I wanted this tank to fit on my desk by my computer. This system is running barebottom i hate sand, as i had too many problems with my old system, i also tried to keep as simple as possible with no sump.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0150.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0148.jpg

Tech specs
Lighting.
1X 32 Smart paq light power compact
2X 9 watt Coralife Power compacts

Filteration & circulation
aquaclear 300
remora nano (custom skimmer box)
900 maxi jet

JBJ auto topoff

Livestock
percula clown
purple fire fish
clean shrimp
emerald crab
snails

Coral
torch coral
GSP
zoos green & orange
Yuma Pink
toad stool

looking to add a couple more frags to this tank, probly some great looking zoo's if you have any let me know i would like to get some more.
just pm me!

JOSH
10-10-2006, 03:17 AM
looks good, got some nice rocks

Flusher
10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Very cool.
________
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME ADVICE (http://www.health-forums.org/irritable-bowel-syndrome/)

Farrmanchu
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
I like it alot, what's the total GPH. My Wife is doing a 10 Gal, with a 90GPH HOB, and I'm trying to decide what size PH to put in there also.

gbeef
10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
My GPH fluxes at night. basically i have the aquaclear 300 doing all the water movement during the day at the the Maxijet 900 turns on at night to blow any detierus to a corner of the tank where it is cleaned weekly.

The maxi jet pushes out probly 200GPH and the aquaclear is 300 GPH If your doing a 10gal you can go with a bigger aquaclear like the 500 unless your going to hookup a skimmer. If you go with a aquaclear you can put your heater in it. i've also seem people setup a fuge. which im considering doing if i run into problems with algea. Due to access nutriants.

Also consider Im running a bare bottom system so i have a TON of flow in the tank. I have the powerhead turn on at night and runs from 12am-10am. I was also considering SEIO pump but i was hearing people having issue reguarding the ceramic shaft breaking if you stop the pump and start it. The maxi jet that i have in that system provides a TON of flow.

If you are planning to use sand in your system you may want to look into cutting the impellars on your Aquaclear and lower powerhead so you dont get a sand storm.

christyf5
10-10-2006, 03:53 PM
The tank looks great! :biggrin: How'd you cram all those lights in there?:razz:

gbeef
10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I can takes picture of the hood tonight. but ill explain it now. on the minibow im using the stock hood (same size 10G stock hood) with some heavy mods to it, basically swaped out the crappy t8 blub in the housing and put in a smartpaqtlight 32w 50/50 these blubs are only 14" wide. so they fit perfectly. Once i added the added the PC i felt the 50/50 didnt give me the right colors i wanted. So i bought a Corallife aqualight 18W version ripped it appart and the 2X 9W blubs fit perfectly underneath the hood. I also added some LED's for night time.

I also added a small fan on the side to combat heating. but becase every is PC heating inst an issue anyways, my temp sits at 80 F but can dip lower, for those hot days.

Delphinus
10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
The tank looks great! :biggrin: How'd you cram all those lights in there?:razz:
No kidding. I'd love to see a pic of the inside of that canopy! :)

Great little setup BTW! :cool:

gbeef
10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
some updates on the hood hereis a pic of the hood
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0160.jpg

heres a shot of the hood top
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0162.jpg

shot of my tank with lights on.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0166.jpg

Moogled
10-11-2006, 01:45 AM
That tank is hideous! You'd better give it to me so I can share the burden :P.

christyf5
10-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Dang! Those bulbs are really crammed in there aren't they. I'm gonna have to look into cramming more lights into mine, I'm sure I can get at least two more bulbs in there :razz:

Carrera75
12-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that tank too small for 2 fish and 1 shrimp? I have exactly the same 7g mini bow tank and at some point I thought that it could be a good nano but then after talking to some people from this forum I realized that i would not be able to have more than 1 fish. So, is this tank big enough for 2 fish and 1 shrimp?

cheers

nanoreefer
12-03-2006, 03:41 AM
yes if you do a 1 or 2g WC every week, i would proably keep afew small gobys and some shrimp, crabs sence most inverts dont add mutch if anything to the bioload(and usualy help by eating left over food)some people would say 1 fish some would say 2 and some would zero its mostly a matter of personal preferance and time(like doing more or larger WC every week or have a fuge/skimmer)

gbeef
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Theres a couple factors that i have in my tank, so i avoid waste problems.
1. theres a protien skimmer. (I wet skim)
2. hang on back filter also AC300
3. its a bare bottom tank. (high flow)

4. FEEDING!
A 7G is pretty much the same as a 10G in lenght. its just shorter in depth. as for feeding. i feed my corals kent marie photo. I feed my fish every 2 days and i feed my inverts every other day. (seaweed) so i alternate feedings. My fish are healthy i havent had any problems, my tank has been established for about 4 months now.

I have no problems with algae but i did have an small issue with cyno. in which i just did a WC and rasie my rockwork off the ground. I have a high flow tank, Theres a 900 Maxi jet pushing water also in there All my corals are softies except for the torch. If your going to have a sand bed i do not suggested 2 fish, because the waste stays in the sand and the sand inst deep enough in a nano to do any denitrifying.

Im currently doing water changes every 2 weeks, but im going to start doing them monthly. (yes monthly) the point of this tank is low maintance.

AND BAREBOTTOM KICKSA$$ i will never go back to sand. I had sand in my old 50 gallon and was nothing but problems.

Ill update my pics soon as the the live stock and rock work is upgraded.

Carrera75
12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
If your going to have a sand bed i do not suggested 2 fish, because the waste stays in the sand and the sand inst deep enough in a nano to do any denitrifying.
BAREBOTTOM KICKSA$$ i will never go back to sand. I had sand in my old 50 gallon and was nothing but problems.

:question: Im going to set up my first nano within the next few days and I wonder if it would be better to go barebottom rather than having sand. :question:

cheers

Fish
12-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Gbeef,
This tank looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it develops.
I totally agree with you on BB. I wouldn't put sand in a tank unless I really wanted to keep something that depended on sand. Other than that, no way!

- Chad

gbeef
12-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Its all perosonal perference and as fish stated critters of course, but sand in a nano is more cosmetic. I love the look of sand, but when it comes to cleaning up and not worrying about tank crashes, algae, stuff detirus you can beat barebottom.

I put i a sheet of cutting board on on the bottom of my tank. for protection and for costemtic (more so protection) also read up on barebottom vs sand and keep in mind your going to setup a nano not a 100Gal tank with a 6inch sand bed. Theres a bunch of people on this board who have converted to barebottom.

If you go barebottom you can always add sand if you dont like it. removing sand from a setup is a messy job. If you also go barebottom you may want to get Aquaclear filter and stack it with Liverock. Also use RO water or goto the store and buy RO water. its only 5 bucks for 5gal.