PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a fishy or two

Ruth
10-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Well I was going to leave my 100g fishless and only have SPS corals but it is kinda boring without any fish sooooo....... I would like to add a couple of fish. It is a cube tank so IMO any tang is out. It is a BB tank so no fish that need to sand sift. I also don't want to be feeding this tank very much or very often - I had thought of a small school of anthias (sp) but I understand they require quite heavy frequent feeding.
Would like to have something a bit unusual and colourful. I have thought of a small group of Helfrichi firefish but am looking for other suggestions as well.

AndyL
10-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Some of the flasher wrasses (which seem to be "in season" right now) would look real good :) Great personalities too!

Jason McK
10-10-2006, 01:44 AM
How about a few Damsels. Like some Azure Damsels. So many people say they are big bullies to other fish but if there the only fish in the tank it might be really cool
you could get like 15-20 of them

J

Moogled
10-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Small group of...Helfrichi?

I feel so poor >:( .

Delphinus
10-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Hi Ruth, I have the same sized tank (30x30x30) and it too is fishless. I agree, ya gotta have fish, I've found it makes a HUGE difference to one's overall attitude towards their tank. My CBB turned my 75g from "this sucks" to "hey this is cool!" within a week.

Anyhow fish I've contemplated for my cube (but have never gotten around to it just yet): pink skunk clowns, various fairy wrasses (my favourites - careful about open tops though, they jump), long-nose butterfly,
hawkfish. I've even thought about eels but I'm not too sure about keeping one so I never gave it THAT much thought.

Got sand or is it BB? Jawfish would be nice (they jump too though, be careful), but need a fairly deep sandbed of various grade gravels/rubble.

albert_dao
10-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Booyah:

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/709watanabe.jpg?c=c13fc0c2a9a0ac19c16017ef23ebb6d0

or

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/599bellusangel.jpg?c=54424d793ba8fdc2ec7e6129f7dfd 88a

Can be kept in groups. Rare. Reef safe. Awesome!

dirtyreefer
10-10-2006, 04:27 AM
I have heard helfrichs don't do well in groups (as most firefish don't), although I love their color.

props
10-10-2006, 04:40 AM
get a hippo and a yellow tang =o)

MoeReefer
10-10-2006, 04:49 AM
i like the damsel idea, get lots of them, there are lots of variety too.

cheers

Ruth
10-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I am a sucker for angel fish and like the idea of a couple of those except that they do get a little on the large size although the 2 that Albert suggests don't get huge. Hmmm maybe a couple of Bellus would be nice - anybody seen any around? LOL
No sandbed so jawfish are out (and I really like them too).
I know that damsel fish can be nice but there is just something about them - maybe too much conditioning about the terrors of damsels.
For whatever reason I am not a big fan of wrasses - go figure.

revgeoff
10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Not a fan of wrasses!!! You should try some of the fairy wrasses, they are amazing. You can get a male and several females and they make a great addition.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of the flasher wrasses when compared to the fairies.

danny zubot
10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
I like the eal idea, come on, be different!

You could also get a manderin once the tank develops pods.

marie
10-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I really like threadfin (or glass) cardinals I have 4 in my tank and seeing them in the store really don't do the colours on them justice. They're not active swimmers but they hang out in the open all day and the blue/purple around their eyes is very intense
Here's a really bad picture of mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2005_0302tanks0005.jpg