PDA

View Full Version : So Sad-show piece coral dieing

Tangman
10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I have a large Toadstool leather (sarcophyton glaucum) 18" or more across that is dieing from a bacterial infection. I am fairly sure it was from stirring up the crushed coral substrate, trying to clean it. This has happened once before after mucking with the substrate, but the infection wasn't as bad and it heeled on it's own about a week. This time though it has only gotten worse, it still has polyp extension, but I feel I may have to frag it to save it.
Any one have any suggestions?
So sad to loose such a great piece.....thought I would vent anyways

Farrmanchu
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
What about a dip in R/O with iodine? Can that be done to Leathers? It's a shame to have to cut it, being so big, but don't wait too long. Sorry to hear about this, cutting can induce a growth response though.

psuedo
10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
cant you just cut out the infected area? That is usually what you have to do with leathers, and if you have good enough conditions it will all grow back even better:D

That is what I did with mine and it grew back in a way better shape...now I am even happier with mine

Beverly
10-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your leather :( Do you have pics of the infected area(s)?

Tangman
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
cant you just cut out the infected area? That is usually what you have to do with leathers, and if you have good enough conditions it will all grow back even better:D

That is what I did with mine and it grew back in a way better shape...now I am even happier with mine
No ,the infected area is right in the middle