PDA

View Full Version : Mag 12 Safe for submersible return pump?

tranvictor
10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I was just plumbing up my new tank, and I noticed that the Mag 12 (bought used) has some rust where the screws are. I was planning to use this pump as a submersible return, my sump isnt drilled. Has anybody used as a mag 12 as a submersible? Was there any adverse effect from the rust? Any help would be great.

Delphinus
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
The screws sometimes do rust on Mag pumps. I'm not sure if there's a SW version of the screws but you can try looking for a replacement set if they're really bad. I sometimes just dab a blop of silicone over the screws but of course that makes it a nuisance to clean the insides.

Sushiman
10-08-2006, 10:39 PM
I've run a Mag12 submersed for several years. Still a goin'.

tranvictor
10-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Sushiman:

I take it that you have no rust on your pump? So a dab of silicone does the job? Thanks for the advice I might try that till I find some stainless steel screws. Anybody know if Rona or Home Depot carry stainless steel screws?

Vic

fkshiu
10-09-2006, 12:17 AM
You may have an easier time finding nylon ones.

If you're very lucky, you'll find SS screws at a local hardware store. I had to go to a marine supplies store to find SS last time I had a need for them (and I'm not sure how many marine supply stores you would have there in Calgary =P )

tranvictor
10-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Would nylon screws keep up with the constant vibrations with the pump? Or would they wear out real quick, and I would need to keep a constant supply?

Vic

Tangman
10-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Any Rona should have a large selection of SS screws, but I have never worried about a tiny bit of rust , but as Delphinus said clean off the rust and a dab of silicone will do

ed99
10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I had a Mag 12 running as a submersible for 2 or 3 years without any trouble. I noticed a slight bit of rust but it seemed it was just a very fine coating on the surface. The screws did not appear to be breaking down at all.

Sushiman
10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I had a Mag 12 running as a submersible for 2 or 3 years without any trouble. I noticed a slight bit of rust but it seemed it was just a very fine coating on the surface. The screws did not appear to be breaking down at all.

Ditto. Just replace the cover hardware as required.

KrazyKuch
10-10-2006, 12:40 AM
All rona's carry SS screws