PDA

View Full Version : Can't go shopping anywhere...

AndyL
10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Why is it... That a reefer can't go to a simple hardware store without leaving with hundreds of dollars in bits-n-pieces?

Went to princess auto for a 3.99 diamond wheel for the dremel... Of course I ended up grabbing a dozen other things in the dremel accessories aisles...

Walking out to the exit - Spy some skookum timers, grab a couple of those... Which happen to be right next to the 12v fans - but I wanted 120v, so walk to the other side, grab 4 - Get out right? Nope, behind me was a bunch of LED and cold cathode lights... Well I do need moonlights... At this point I can't carry everything - so I put everything down, to go get a cart...

At which point I walk by the 58$ diamond tile saw... Get the cart, diamond saw (awesome for fragging!), spare blades, all my other stuff... Spy the extension cords - well I need a new power strip... Grab 2 (they were cheap! And I always find a need for another).

At the till - my 3.99 diamond wheel turned into just shy of 200$

I need to start using ebay more, at least then I can't be shanghai'd by these product placement guru's! :lol:

Please tell me it's not just me!

Jaws
10-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I wish it was just you but sadly no. It's funny, I make my living in sales but I can almost get talked into anything for my reef tank. I start with a small inexpensive idea and end up with a huge insanely expensive result. I think that's a lot of the fun though too.

midgetwaiter
10-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I can just see you wondering around the place like that Andy. "Ooooh look, shiny stuff"!

It's not just you, last time I told my g/f I needed to stop at Home Depot for 5 minutes she looked at me and said, "yeah 5 minutes, sure..."

Doug
10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
:smile: Even when I follow my wife around Wally World, pushing the cart, I look at things and wonder where I could use that in regards to the aquarium. :lol:

Joe Reefer
10-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I know the feeling, I just went to home depot for some "cheap" timers and ended up spending 200 bux on electronic timers and wire etc....

AndyL
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
I can just see you wondering around the place like that Andy. "Ooooh look, shiny stuff"!

Nah it's not the shiny stuff I go for... But I'm a true tim taylor - you should see me on my weekly visits to the hilti store :D Arg Arg Arg! Mo Powah!

midgetwaiter
10-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Nah it's not the shiny stuff I go for... But I'm a true tim taylor - you should see me on my weekly visits to the hilti store :D Arg Arg Arg! Mo Powah!

I have a picture with me and a 48" Rigid pipe wrench (steel, no wussy aluminum) from a couple summers ago. I spent a week saying "That's not a wrench, this is a wrench!" in a crappy Aussie accent before they threatened to beat me to death with it.

Tarolisol
10-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Im the same way, every bonus/xtra money i get im hitting the store looking for a little thing and end up with a huge thing. Im bad with online stores as well. But with reef stuff i dont get the buyers remorse compared to other stuff( like car accesories....... or food.) :P

That is why i have to vortech pumps and still love them.