PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse tank

Tarolisol
10-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I am hoping to set up a 90g tank for sea horses and just looking to get some feed back. Some good macro to keep in the tank and other forms of hitching posts.

Also some pics of tanks would be great.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I grow prolifera & red grape macro algae. Also, some corky finger (photosynthetic gorgonian) make good hitching posts. If you go to the LFS, you can ask if they have any dead gorgonia skeletons you can get or buy.

Minimum flow. Not much live rock, lots of open spaces planted with macro.

One problem is that the low flow may let cyano invade.

Anthony

AndyL
10-05-2006, 10:33 PM
it appears to be gorgonian season in calgary right now - great hitching posts (alive or dead)

My SH tank has about 8 varieties of macro, The red stuff, chaeto of course, Got small amounts of caulerpa (sawtooth, and some of the green stuff with the balls) halimeda, along with a few that have just grown out of the rock.

Tarolisol
10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I grow prolifera & red grape macro algae. Also, some corky finger (photosynthetic gorgonian) make good hitching posts. If you go to the LFS, you can ask if they have any dead gorgonia skeletons you can get or buy.

Minimum flow. Not much live rock, lots of open spaces planted with macro.

One problem is that the low flow may let cyano invade.

Anthony

My plan is to run the tank sumpless and use teh overflow hole to make a closed loop with some sort of smaller pump. Also was thinking of pratitioning off a quarter of the tank and fill it with cheato so i can have one contained system to keep bubbles down.

Any problems you see?

Tarolisol
10-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Also is bare bottom of for seahorses or not.

Beverly
10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Don't see why you can't have a BB SH tank. Sounds okay to me :)

Tarolisol
10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
So im picking up my tank tommorow, hopfully will get some live rock this week sometime. Can anyone reccomend a flow amount for this tank so i can by the right pump?