PDA

View Full Version : Inverts in QT

bassman
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I pulled all the inverts out of my reef tank last night and placed them in my QT until I can find a good home for them. However, the wife loves these little buggers and would like to keep them if possible. I am fine with that, they just won't be living in my reef tank anymore.

I have 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 banded coral and a purple lobster. All are pretty good size, 2-3 inches.

Is there any reason they can't just live in my 20 gal QT?

I have a skimmer on that tank, a filter and I could put a couple chunks of LR in there too if need be.

Will my inverts be at risk of catching diseases that new or sick fish may introduce to the tank while being quarantined? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Kabong
10-05-2006, 01:14 PM
The issue would be if you had to treat the tank in anyway.
Inverts won't survive hypo or and copper based meds.

bassman
10-05-2006, 02:32 PM
The issue would be if you had to treat the tank in anyway.
Inverts won't survive hypo or and copper based meds.

Yah that is what I was thinking too. That and I don't want to dose that tank with Ca etc.

I guess I will add another tank just for inverts. :mrgreen:

Kabong
10-06-2006, 01:36 AM
I understand removing the lobster and the banded coral,
But why the cleaner shrimp?

bassman
10-06-2006, 01:54 AM
I understand removing the lobster and the banded coral,
But why the cleaner shrimp?

Well too be honest I thought they were okay until I caught one in the act of carrying off one of my hermit crabs. He killed it and ate it right in front of me. :sad:

Richard_Dicosimo
10-06-2006, 02:57 AM
i have seen that before too.

Richard

Kabong
10-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Hmm hermit must have just molted.
I have seen them be predatory as well,
But there usually pretty cowardly about what they will go after.
I've only ever seen them go after things that can't defend them self's.
Mine wiped out all my stomatella snails.

bassman
10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmm hermit must have just molted.
I have seen them be predatory as well,
But there usually pretty cowardly about what they will go after.
I've only ever seen them go after things that can't defend them self's.
Mine wiped out all my stomatella snails.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think the hermit had molted, he was fighting as hard as he could to keep the shrimp from getting him. I think the bigger they get the more aggresive they get to smalller critters. The hermit was about as small as you can get.

Now that you mention the snails I have gone through a pile of them in the last 6 months.

Too be honest I am not too sure how much blame can be placed on the shrimps. I am just tired of having my live stock killed and eaten, regardless of what is doing it. I just decided to remove anything and everything with claws.