PDA

View Full Version : X10 Controller

Bryan
10-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Anybody using an x10 controller/ modules for their tank. Looking around on the internet and the setup looks to be a dandy way of controlling lights and pumps. With some modifications to the modules you can quiten them down so they can be used a complex wavemaker.

Couple of questions.

Reliability?
What happens in a power outage, does the whole system reset itself or does it keep it's timing?
Ease of use?

StirCrazy
10-07-2002, 10:09 PM
Most of the X-10 systems out there use a brainbox or your computer to run them.

if the power fails the X-10 moduals stay in the setting they were in when the power failed, and if you use the firecracker (like myself and a few others) the computer controles the Moduals. when my power went out the other day, it came back on and all my lights flashed back up and the computer carried ou with the program as if it was normal.. one word of caution is that in a wave maker application, if you are switching units on a fast timing it will be hard on the powerheads and in any wave make applacation they are very noisy as you have to use a appliance modual to run powerheads and they have a loud "click" when they go on or off.

in my opinion they are best suited for lights, and pumps that you might switch once or twice a day.

there is a good freeware program out there for controling the firecracker called "FireworX" it can do anything but you have to add the info. I am curently usingit to controle 6 sets of lights plus my moonlight.

Steve

r_wellwood
10-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Steve,

Your moonlight, is it on a seasonal cycle or just on/off at a set time each day?

Bryan
10-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. You may want to check out these sites http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/modifying_lamp_module.htm
http://www3.edgenet.net/lingling/x10-sche.html

"Modification to a silent appliance module"

Describes how to modify the lamp modules so they are switched electronically. The mods look simple enough.

I ahve to find the link but there is a x10 hardware/software program for the X10 that doesn't require the computer to be on all the time. From what I recall you set the on'off cycles on your computer and download the instructions to the main controller. ANy changes are done through the computer but it doesn't have to on to run the X10 modules.

Most of the X-10 systems out there use a brainbox or one word of caution is that in a wave maker application, if you are switching units on a fast timing it will be hard on the powerheads and in any wave make applacation they are very noisy as you have to use a appliance modual to run powerheads and they have a loud "click" when they go on or off.

Steve

StirCrazy
10-08-2002, 10:09 PM
r_wellwood,

all my lights are on a set time (on/off each day) so i didn't see the point in making my moonlight different.

Bryan,

yup I have read them all befor.. the problem is I haven't seen it explained good enuf for me to feel confadent in trying it yet and at 20.00 a pop.. well :lol:

The controler you are thinking of is called the "active home kit" whare you can download a set of instructions from your computer to the memory box, or do some very basic programing from the box its self. problem is it is much more expensive and no one has any deicent software that I have seen for it yet. also the box will only hold a small amount of data (definatly not enuf for sunrise/set curves and such, but it would be fine for basic on/off )

if you leave your computer running all the time like myself the firecracker is perfect as you have no limit on memory or computing power to run your stuff.

Steve