PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping With Branch Type Live Rock

Palster
10-02-2006, 02:46 AM
I am in the process of curing some Tonga Deepwater live rock. This rock has a narrow bottom and branches out at the top. The rock is going into a tall 20 gallon Hexagon shaped tank and I was hoping to be able to make the rock stand up with the narrow end of the live rock at the bottom of the tank. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to secure this rock so that it will stand up (kind of like a tree) without falling over? Because this is a tall and narrow tank I want the rock to stand up as I believe this will look the best, but it will definitely not stand up unless I secure it in some manner. I do not want to lean the rock against the back of the tank as the tank is acrylic and will scratch. I have 3 pieces of live rock to secure in total (one large piece and 2 smaller pieces).

clipperfish
10-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Drill holes in the rock and use plasticpegstoo hold the rock onto a 1/2 inch plex glass that you put on the bottom of the tank, and the sand on top of that . You can use the pegs to hold the rock together too .hope this helps .

Richard_Dicosimo
10-02-2006, 04:35 AM
i used epoxy to create some of my rockwork. It worked well. i also tried silicone, it did not work. you can also cut live rock on a band saw i tried it and it worked well. The flat surface gives a nice surface to glue to. Epoxy is reef safe once cured i purchased a brad that was safe for food use.
you could cut some of your branch like peices on the bottoms and then glue that to the tanks bottom.

Richard

Palster
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to try a combination of the two methods. I am going to cut the rock flat at the bottom and drill some holes and use pegs or dowels to try and secure the rock as well. I have all the tools I need to do the job. I even have a hammer drill which should work better than a standard drill to drill the holes in the live rock. Also does anyone know if all epoxy is aquarium safe or do you need a special epoxy that won't harm the tank inhabitants?