PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI and what is going on....?

EmilyB
10-07-2002, 01:12 AM
I changed out all my cartridges a couple weeks ago. DI went from 2 to 0. RO membrane was at 98% rejection.

This time, the DI unit was a color-changeable one. It is showing color change already about half-way up. And the TDS reads 3. Now the RO membrane reads 95% rejection. But even so, the DI should be able to handle that, no ??? :?

I should mention I left the flush valve open for some time and was running water. :roll: Did this wreck my membrane....?

I've only used the TDS about nine times, it comes calibrated. Should it be calibrated already ?

Thanks for info...

reefburnaby
10-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Hi,

I would check if the carbon block is working (or if it is exhausted). It maybe a sign that some chlorine is getting through and eating away at the RO. How long did you run the flush for ?

- Victor.

EmilyB
10-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Hi Victor,

I changed out the carbon block and sediment filter at the same time as well.

It ran for...........a few hours.... :oops:

StirCrazy
10-07-2002, 02:39 AM
flushing won't hurt yyour membrain.. it will just clean it.. mind you a few hours is a little excessive ;)

I would suspect it is time to calabrate your tds meter or maby some of your DI is starting to go.. I have read several articles saying that the DI quality starts to degrade befor the color has changed.

Steve

EmilyB
10-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Two weeks for a DI cartridge ??? :shock: My last one was in there six months though, and only showed a reading of two ?? :?

StirCrazy
10-07-2002, 02:53 AM
I didn't realize it was only 2 weeks old.. you mention it was 1/2 color changed.. hmm then calabrate yout TDS meter and try that . :?

Steve

Canadian Man
10-07-2002, 05:27 AM
Deb,
Something to think about-
If you leave your flush valve open(running) then the water first goes through the sediment cartridge and then the carbon filter.

So what I am getting at is that you may have run alot of water through that carbon filter in the time you left it open. Just an idea :?

Anyway, I have a Maxxima kent unit, So Ro/Di and it has a color change Di cartridge and I have had the unit for 11 months now and the color change on the Di cartridge is only 1/4 changed.

EmilyB
10-07-2002, 05:31 AM
Good thought Jon,

I'll pick up a new carbon filter and try a reading. :)