PDA

View Full Version : What eats dictoya algae

mr_alberta
10-01-2006, 12:36 AM
I have dictoya algae in my tank and need a way of eradicating it. Anyone know of fish or inverts that will eat it? I prefer inverts over fish, but any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Chad
10-01-2006, 01:01 AM
I have dictoya algae in my tank and need a way of eradicating it. Anyone know of fish or inverts that will eat it? I prefer inverts over fish, but any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

My blue spotted Rabbit fish ate it up big time. However the seem hit and miss.. as usual :)

Good luck tho.. I have had to "cook" my rocks to get rid of the dictoya. The rabbit fish just kept it under control and trimmed.

marie
10-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Good luck :sad: Of all the pest algaes I've had (and I think I've had most of them ) that one was the worst. The only animal I found to eat it was a naso tang and that's one fish I don't recommend to anyone with a tank smaller then 180g.

They get big fast and it was heartbreaking to have to find a new home for him

Beverly
10-01-2006, 02:23 AM
I have not heard of this pest algae. What does it look like?

hawk
10-01-2006, 02:36 AM
I had dictyota in my 77g. It was the worst problem I have had with my tank. The more I picked, cleaned rocks the quicker it grew. I tried tuxedo urchins several different crabs ,snails, finally tried a Naso knowing that I would be upgrading. The naso had the problem cleaned up in a few months. I haven't seen the algae in 4+ years. The naso is now my favorite fish in my 375g. That being said, I have read somewhere that with time the outbreak sometimes will eventually die off on it's own. Good luck.

hawk
10-01-2006, 02:38 AM

It grows in a branching "y" shape with flat leaves. Can be green to yellowish brown.

marie
10-01-2006, 03:20 AM

It is a deceivingly nice looking macroalgae

http://www.biol.tsukuba.ac.jp/~inouye/ino/st/br/Dictyota-1.GIF

Chad
10-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Its the DEVIL I say!!! don't ever let it into your tank!! :) lol.. I thought it was a "nice looking macro" and left it in my tank.. thinking it would disappear eventualy like all my other macro algaes.. but noooooo.. this one had to be a little .... well you know :)

Beverly
10-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the pic, Marie :)

Skimmerking
10-01-2006, 01:57 PM
the pink/blue nuribranch will eat it Harvey i read it a long while ago sorry will try and look for it ok