PDA

View Full Version : Running an external return without drilling the sump?

fkshiu
09-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Is there anyway to run an external return pump without having to drill a hole in your sump?

If not, how do you know how high to have the hole drilled?

thanks

Dale
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Some thoughts:

No drilling
If, for example, you are mounting the external pump to the stand. just use PVC piping, elbows etc... to extend the pump intake down into the sump.

Drilling
Some people plumb their systems as though a leak could never develop so in theory you can drill the sump anywhere you want (within reason) but the closer to the top - the less volume lost should a leak develop between the bulkhead and the glass. If you want to draw water from the bottom of the sump this can be achieved by using PVC fittings on the inside of the sump.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/pumpmountingideas2.jpg
________
RM250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_RM250)

untamed
10-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Yes...good suggestions.

The only thing I would add is that you have to factor in how you are going to prime the pump, if you plumb this way. On their own, most pumps won't pull water up and over the side of the sump if there is any air in the line.

I'm sure that someone will chime in here with some experience on how best to do that.

Quagmire
10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Where the pipe comes up to go over the tank,you can always add a T with a cap.Take the cap off and pour water in to prime,then put the cap back on.Similar to an overflow.

fkshiu
10-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Cool. Thanks guys.

tranvictor
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Where the pipe comes up to go over the tank,you can always add a T with a cap.Take the cap off and pour water in to prime,then put the cap back on.Similar to an overflow.

Will this set up self start incase of a power outtage? Or would you need to re-prime the pump every time?

Tangman
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Will this set up self start incase of a power outtage? Or would you need to re-prime the pump every time?
No, it should restart every time without priming, but you should have a check valve on the pump outlet side to prevent back siphoning ( water or air )