PDA

View Full Version : maroon clowns and sand-storms!!!

fresh
09-30-2006, 09:44 PM
OK,

so I have this beautiful pair of golden marroons that have done nothing in the last week but create sand-storms with their tails!!!

They wiggle their tails on the sugar-fine sand-bed all day long, creating sand-storms that cover everything.

Anybody had this experience? what can I do?

I will be introducing an anemone in the near future and hopefully that will minimize the wiggling of tails on the sand-bed as there will be a lot of wiggling inside the anemone ;)

But in the mean time, what can I do?

I remember even before when I used to have a seabea with them, they did create sand-storms with their tails, but not as much as they are doing now. Any solution to this problem?

Thanks

psuedo
10-01-2006, 12:03 AM
no solution other than get a heavier grade aragonite ( bigger ) and layer it over where they are doing this. Clowns are known fot this when in pairs. I am thinking that it is part of their courtship ritual. You should be happy though, maroons are harder than all the other clowns to pair up

Chaloupa
10-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I have heavy substrate and my GS maroons still make a mess...they pick it up and carry it in their mouths if they can't move it around with their bodies...it's a bit frustrating!

EmilyB
10-01-2006, 02:32 AM
My maroon pair just sweeps the bb now...so nice ! The female always did it more before a spawn. When I had the sand I just made sure there were big rocks all around the base of the anemone rock. That really helped.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I had a pair that did that in Irene's tank allllllll summer. Oh yeah, those are the same GS maroons. :) Wouldn't stop, no matter how many times I moved the sand back in place. Almost made us go barebottom in that tank.

Anthony

untamed
10-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Mine does this only every now and then...No cure that I know of. I've also seen the "picking up rocks" behavior. Odd fellows..but that's why we like them.

fresh
10-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, you guys explained what I have been seeing for a long time, and obviously there is no solution :(

Anthony, honestly, it is making me think of bare-bottom just for that reason!!!

I love them, but they are not behaving ;)