PDA

View Full Version : help! need ID

Glennrf38
09-30-2006, 03:37 AM
This stuff just started sprouting in my tank last week and seems to be growing bigger as I watch. What is it? Is it bad? If how do I get rid of it?

http://www.warops.com/aquarium/green.jpg

And this seems to have sprouted tumors. Same questions as the other picture.

http://www.warops.com/aquarium/purple.jpg

Thanks in advance

Tarolisol
09-30-2006, 05:40 AM
It looks like the top left is some sort of algea maybe bryposis (sp?) and the other a sort of macro algea, both ca become a problem. Have you checked you chemistry latly. Maybe your nitrates are up a bit.

Glennrf38
09-30-2006, 12:31 PM
It looks like the top left is some sort of algea maybe bryposis (sp?) and the other a sort of macro algea, both ca become a problem. Have you checked you chemistry latly. Maybe your nitrates are up a bit.

Haven't done one for a week or so. I guess I will be doing one tonight......:lol:

BMW Rider
09-30-2006, 02:00 PM
In the second picture, are you refering to the snakeskin polyps (or are they GSPs, both are quite similar)? If so the growth is just its normal pattern. It will spread by growing finger like extensions which will attach once they touch a surface they can hold to.

The first picture is of various algaes. You will need to start addressing the nutrients that are feeding it. Do water changes to lower nitrates and you may also choose to use a nitrate sponge material to help lower them if they are excessive. I would also reccommend using a phospate spone material even if you can't detect any by testing. Phosphates are hard to test for and are almost certainly present given the algae growth. I use Rowaphos in a reactor continuously on my system to remove phosphates. I never had detectable levels, but had high algae growth. Since I started using the Rowaphos the algae has virtually disappeared. You should also try to determine the source of the nutrients, ie: top up water, salt mix, food or overfeeding, etc, and try to reduce them at the source to make the battle easier.

Xtasia
09-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Bryopsis, Razor Caulerpa, Snakeskin GSP.

Glennrf38
10-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Thanks all. I will be checking out the levels.