PDA

View Full Version : Hagen 301 powerhead submersible?

Samw
12-29-2001, 03:55 AM
I bought a new Hagen Powerhead 301. The manual says that it is fully submersible. However, there is a CSA sticker on the powerhead that shows a waterline and says "Do not immerse beyond waterline". Can anyone forsee a problem if I totally submerse the powerhead?

Shadetree
12-29-2001, 03:58 AM
The powerhead is fully submersable, I think to get the CSA sticker it has to say that. I have two submersed in my tank.

Scott

reefburnaby
12-29-2001, 04:20 AM
Hi,

CSA requires any submersed device to have certain requirements (like a 3 pong plug and grounding and such). So, in order for Hagen to sell this device in Canada without massive modifications, it must put this label on there to be CSA compliant. It is probably designed to be submersed, but it does not met the strict rules that CSA has.

- Victor.

Jack
12-29-2001, 05:05 AM
yeah, i asked the same question on a different message board. I have a Hagen 301, works fine submerged. Glad I wasnt the only one to ask that question.

canadawest
12-29-2001, 05:30 AM
I had to ask the same question when I started about a couple heaters I have.

Packaging says fully submersible (Pre-Set and Ebo-Jag models), but right on the heater it says "do not immerse below this line"

I was scratching my head, and definitely asked before reaching in with my hand to place it in! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

smokinreefer
12-29-2001, 09:30 AM
just to ease your mind...
i have 7 hagen powerheads in my system that ive used for years fully submerged.

Samw
12-31-2001, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reefburnaby:
Hi,

CSA requires any submersed device to have certain requirements (like a 3 pong plug and grounding and such). So, in order for Hagen to sell this device in Canada without massive modifications, it must put this label on there to be CSA compliant. It is probably designed to be submersed, but it does not met the strict rules that CSA has.

- Victor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was never any good with my electricals. So what does it mean if an electrical device doesn't have 3 prongs? I know the 3rd prong is for grounding but what does that mean in terms of me sticking my hand in the salt water if the device starts leaking electricity? On all of my pumps, they have 2 prongs and both prongs are the same size.

reefburnaby
01-01-2002, 05:43 AM
Hi,

I think I have been asked this question about ten times now....I am too lazy to open the CSA standards book to look up what exact is required. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif The book is somewhere in my company's library...I'll see if I can get the official word.

I guess the main concern is how to protect us from getting electricute in any event. To get electricuted, you must have about 18 to 40 milliamps of electrical current flowing through your body. Suppose, we have a powerhead that is leaking currents because its protective epoxy shell is cracked. Let's consider these cases.

1. 2 prong PH

The stray currents will flow through from the PH, into the water. So, if your fingers touch the water, then the currents will flow through your fingers and your body.

2. 2 prong PH with ground probe.

As in case 2, the power will flow out of the PH and into the water. However, the stray currents will flow to the ground probe...even if you touch the water. This is because, the connectivity between the water and ground is better with the probe than it is for your body. Since electricity is lazy...it takes the easy way out. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

3. 3 prong PH (with or without ground probe).

The 3rd prong on a PH is usually attached around the iron core of the motor. A motor consists of a magnet(i.e. the impeller), an electromagnet (i.e. the iron core with magnetic wire wrapped around it). If the epoxy cracks, the iron core and the magnetic coil will be expose to the water. Since the core is grounded, this will help draw any stray currents from the motor to the ground. However, when the epoxy is not cracked, the tank water is not grounded. Hence, the 3 prong gives the user extra protection.

2 prongs with same prong width.

For motors, it is usually okay since it only affects the direction at which the motor will spin.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 01 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]