PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer issue

Snappy
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a Aqua Medic turbo floater 5000 shorty that I just can't seem to get to skim enough. For example it would take 2 months or more at the present skim rate to fill the collection cup. I have 2 (1 in sump / 1 external) ocean runner 3500 pumps running it, have it turned all the way up to the max and still can't seem to get it to skim properly. I have heard good things about these skimmers but in my opinion it's a $900 piece of crap. I am at my wits end because it used to work well but hasn't performed in months and my tank is showing the results. What am I doing wrong?

Joe Reefer
09-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a reg. turbofloator 1000 and I had to raise it almost right out of the water in the sump for it to work. I felt the same way you do, but raising it up really helped alot. Now it skims a filthy cup full in about a 1.5 weeks

Gools
09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
So it use to work, but not anymore? How are you feeding it? Mine shorty has been the best investment ever. It has declined in skimmate, but my tank looks better then ever. I'm going to assume you've taken it apart and completely cleaned it. I had problems with skimmate once, and found coraline bloking the venturi. Once I scraped it off it was back to it's old self. I also take 2 cups of boiling water, and let the venturi hose suck it in once a month. I have never gotten a full container of skimmate if that's what your refering to. Once it gets about an inch of skimmate in it, I take it off and clean out the cup, it fills with such thick sludge, and it slows skimming. And make sure your feed to your skimmer is working proper. I have it gravity fed, and algae forms on the tube in my overflow blocking water from getting in there, and I have to clean it out once in a while. And if you want to sell it. I'll take it and then I'll have 3. LOL

Snappy
09-29-2006, 12:47 AM
I have a reg. turbofloator 1000 and I had to raise it almost right out of the water in the sump for it to work. I felt the same way you do, but raising it up really helped alot. Now it skims a filthy cup full in about a 1.5 weeks
I had a 1000 for about a year and it worked great but it was too small for my tank.