PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Chocolate Fountain

Xtasia
09-26-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm trying to build a 2 foot high chocolate fountain for my holiday party in december...

Do you think I could use a power head to move the chocolate from the bottom of the bowl to the top tier?

Do you think a Maxijet would have enough power?

Can anyone recommend any chocolate-safe / food-safe hosing that does well under heat.

Thanks.

Reef_kid
09-26-2006, 06:47 AM
it would be mush easier to go and rent a chocolate fountain from a store such as micheals or a cake decorating/wedding store!!
you can often rent them for a weekend. for a decent price

hope it works out
dave

Chin_Lee
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I think an Iwaki 100RLT should do the trick. It pumps at 1600 gph but taking the viscosity of the chocolate and head height into consideration, it should pump that chocolate like Mt Everest blowing its lid. :lol:

StirCrazy
09-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm trying to build a 2 foot high chocolate fountain for my holiday party in december...

Do you think I could use a power head to move the chocolate from the bottom of the bowl to the top tier?

Do you think a Maxijet would have enough power?

Can anyone recommend any chocolate-safe / food-safe hosing that does well under heat.

Thanks.

nope not enuf, plus you also need to keep it heated.
the ones you buy use an auger not a pump.

Steve

atcguy
09-26-2006, 01:03 PM
they dont use a pump they use a corkskrew style sealed unit to pull the choc up. I think it would destroy the powerhead throw in the fact the choc needes to be melted and therefore hot, I dont know if any powerhead would do it. Go to coscto I think they are around 60 bucks max.

Bill
09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Ampmaster 4700

Xtasia
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
You are thinking.. is this woman nuts?

no.. I'm F-ing with ya.. :P

But good info came out of this thread regardless. Thanks for the fun.

fakename
09-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree, buying or renting a chocolate fountain is going to be cheaper in the long run than making one. Also, just FYI, you need to mix the chocolate with a low taste vegetable oil to allow it to flow properly in most fountains.
We recently bought one at the Bay (I think it's called a Rival Fountain)....it was very big and very cool, and only cost about 90 bucks.

RobbAdams
09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
A larger Rio should keep the chocolate melted and move it:wink:

Robb

Midknight
09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
You also want to calculate the distance you want it to "fountain" up :lol:
Should be able to get a good 2 foot geyser going before you hit the ceiling

BMW Rider
09-26-2006, 11:06 PM
To keep the chocolate melted, I suggest using a spare heater. Then go for a big pump like an ampmaster and maybe plumb it through an OM 4 way and really go crazy with the fountain effect. :lol:

muck
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
How long do you think SCWDs would last on Chocolate.. :mrgreen:

Beverly
09-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Funny thread :lol: Only a true reefer would try a DIY chocolate fountain out of reef gear :wink:

P.S. Until this thread I didn't even know there was such a thing as a chocolate fountain. Maybe I should get me one :biggrin:

Chaloupa
09-27-2006, 02:30 AM
K Ivy...all this good info...now ya gotta do it! And invite us all to your chocolate fountain party as who can resist seeing this in action PLUS eating chocolate? A womans dream party!!!:lol: