PDA

View Full Version : Dead anemone?

MikeP
09-26-2006, 03:52 AM
I got home from work today and my long tentical anemone is collapsed. I have only had it for a few weeks so I don't really know it's typical behavior. What should I do?

Thanks for any help

Chad
09-26-2006, 03:55 AM
If by collapsed you mean shrivelled up then perhaps it just took a poop :) and it should expand again in a little bit. If its mouth is gapping open or it is no longer attached to your rock work/glass or whatever, and is just being tossed about. Then you have some serious problems and need to take some action.

Quagmire
09-26-2006, 04:11 AM
Smell it, if its dead you will know it.Very rank stench

EmilyB
09-26-2006, 04:28 AM
How does the mouth of the anemone appear ?

MikeP
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
It sits really low in the LR it is attached to I only ever really see the tenticals waving around so I don't know about the mouth. It is still attached to the LR so far. And yes by collapsed I mean shrivelled up. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about. Like I said I'm still getting used to behavior. I will look at it as soon as I get home. It may have tried to eat the leftovers from my CBS molt would that be a problem?

Chad
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Eating the molt is probably not going to do it any harm. It may just be still getting used to your water parameters. expansion and contraction is common as it tries to regulate its internal fluids with the tanks. This is not good. If it is doing this constantly then your water has an issue. Otherwise if your water is good. ie; low to zero nitrate etc. then its a good chance its just taking a poop :) or periodicly flushing itself. Give it a day or so.. if you happen to glimps the mouth, if it is wide open you have a problem, if its puckered up.. your good to go.

MikeP
09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
So I think he is going to be ok. It looks like he just wanted to relocate. He has moved from his original spot by several inches. He doesn't look as white as he was but maybe he's just a little stressed. I'm not sure why he would want to move, he was in the first spot ever since I put him in three and a half weeks ago.

Geofrog
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
A white anemone is is an unhealthy anemone. When stressed the anemone will expell it's zoanthellae and appear bleached. It takes some time for them to recolonize the zoanthellae.

Have you changed anythink in your tank in the last few days, i.e. flow by rearranging powerheads?

MikeP
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
A white anemone is is an unhealthy anemone. When stressed the anemone will expell it's zoanthellae and appear bleached. It takes some time for them to recolonize the zoanthellae.

Have you changed anythink in your tank in the last few days, i.e. flow by rearranging powerheads?

I guess i didn't get a really good look at all his color because of where he was before. Now that he has moved I can see all of him, I will keep an eye on his overall color. As far as changing anything in the tank lately I have done nothing that would change any flow or current. The only thing that has changed is the addition of some candy cane frags and another feather duster. The feather duster is in a corner and the candy cane was put within the reach of his tenticals so maybe thats what he didn't like?