PDA

View Full Version : Lighting For Nano

rmoss25
09-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone could give a suggestion on what type of lighting I should use for a 15 gallon nano tank? The dimensions are 24x12x12. Can I use MH or is it not recomened fro a tank this shallow?

AJ_77
09-24-2002, 12:11 PM
I had a fluorescent DIY fixture that had a pair of 24" tubes over-driven on an electronic ballast. (You'll see the Workhorse ballasts mentioned frequently on this board.) T12 or T8 bulbs would work. This put approx. 80 watts down from a 10k / actinic combo. It was crisp, bright, and blue-ish, but quite pleasing.

There is a PC set in the Buy-Sell forum here, 24" I think also. Depends on what you're looking at keeping, but many people have good experience with them over their nanos.

As to halides, you might end up mounting them a foot or more above the water, depending on wattage. In general I think you're right about 12" being too shallow for these, but it surprises me what people are doing. A fellow on nano-reef.com has a radium 400 over his 10g. Go figure.

Cheers,

Alan

[ 24 September 2002, 08:14: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

rmoss25
09-24-2002, 01:19 PM
I wanted to try and keep a variety of corals so I need a good lighting setup. Also I am starting a nano reef tank as I live in a small apartment. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 50-75 gallon tank when I get a house. So maybe getting MH now would be something I could use later?

AJ_77
09-24-2002, 05:16 PM
PC or MH lighting could be refitted to a larger canopy, for instance 2x24" PCs could be made to cover a 48" tank width. A 175W MH fixture could be converted to cover half of the same larger tank. But you might find you'll want to keep the nano, even after you get a larger tank. They are two very different worlds, each with its own attractions.

If you've searched this board and others for "lighting" or "metal halide" you know how many options and opinions there are out there.

Cheers,

Alan

Bob I
09-24-2002, 06:33 PM
I would agree with Alan in this respect. Set up your nano as if you were to keep it. Many bigger reef keepers still have nanos. It is a good way to break into what can be a very expensive hobby. It allows you to get your feet wet before spending a ton of dough.
As far as light goes. Yes some nano keepers have MH lighting, but is it necessary? I think not. A relatively inexpensive way to light a nano is to get an incandescent top. After getting the top get some screw in PC bulbs. There are spiral ones available from Envirolite. They are 6400K, and availabe in a number of wattages. I have one on my refugium that is 15W, but they are available in higher wattages. A couple of 15's or 25's over a 15 gallon nano would be fine. A light like that would only cost about $100.00 :D

reefburnaby
09-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I have kept a pseudo-nano for a while -- a 20 gallon. It is basically the same tank as the 15, but taller. Actually...the height didn't help much since I didn't use a sandbed on my 20.

For the 20 (softies and lps), a 55W PC was sufficient for most corals. I actually had trouble keeping mushrooms because the lights were too bright. The PC was a 10000K driven by Workhorse 5 -- for $70. MH is also a good idea, but it might be too bright for the simpler and easier corals.

- Victor.

EmilyB
09-25-2002, 02:53 AM
It depends on what you will keep for sure.

I kept 2 x 55w PC on this 25g for about a year.
I thought the LTA did well, but digging this pic out now, I think anyone who knows the anemone will agree it looks much better now after halides for a couple years.

web page (http://www.members.shaw.ca/bhadford1/That25g.jpg)

rmoss25
09-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Thank you all for the advice.
So if I was to go with a 175 MH how far away from the water would you recommend it being?

Delphinus
09-25-2002, 12:19 PM
I have my 175W over my 20g (I know ... not a nano, but a "mini" I suppose) at about 3"-4" over my surface. It is an open top tank however and it is a suspended pendent (I can also raise and lower it as needed) -- so heat isn't an issue. If planning to go with a canopy, that's a serious heat sink and I'd either have it higher or have a fan (or both) in such a case. HTH..

ganowicki
10-06-2002, 06:16 PM
I am just started up a Nano tank (10 Gal). In the old incandesent hood I put 2 GEBL/T 23W/65K Compact Florescent bulbs ($16.95 at albrite lighting in Victoria) and 1 NO Florescent actinic. I have a toadstool leather, pipe organ, xenia and polyps in there so far and they seem to be doing quite well.

Bob I
10-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Thanks for that Ganowicki. I for one think that inacndescent conversion is a hell of an idea. I tried it once with PC bulbs I bought at Ikea. They were $5.95 each, but very low in kelvin. Our LFS now sells spiral PC bulbs made by Aquatique. The 15W is $23.95. I have one over my CPR Refugium. I will have to see if Albright lighting is in Calgary. It sounds like you have a ton of light on your nano. I myself have four 13W PC's I bought at AH Supply in the US. When all was said and done I think I was out about $200.00 for the light. Right now I run two of the lights for 26W total, but there is only Xenia in the tank, and a lot of daylight. The tank is only a couple of weeks old, so I am not putting much in for awhile. :D

reefburnaby
10-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Those spiral bulbs....are they weather resistant ? I would be a little cautious since salt spray or a little water can fry these bulbs if they are not weather resistant.

I use one of the outdoor CFL bulbs that you can get at home depot -- the 6500K ones.

- Victor.

ganowicki
10-07-2002, 11:37 PM
I have modified the original hood so that I can fit the NO and the 2 PC into the designated light section. As you may know, the original hood seperates the lights by a piece of glass, therefore no moisture wil get in. when I get my hands on a digital camera I will take a photo to show you.

Bob I
10-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Those spiral bulbs....are they weather resistant ? .
Probably not, but I always use glass covers. Just a phobia of mine. :D