PDA

View Full Version : Tank painting?

MikeP
09-24-2006, 07:25 AM
I've seen a lot of pictures of tanks that have the backs painted. Usually blue or black. I think I would like to do it with my 190g. What paint would I use?

Thanks

safety4fire
09-24-2006, 07:32 AM
:biggrin:

kellehar
09-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I use testers model spray paint dark blue. only takes ten minutes to do it.

safety4fire
09-24-2006, 07:53 AM
If you plan on keeping your tank, do it, if not I would tape a backing to it instead.

Pescador
09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
You can spray paint pexi and attach it to the back. It's easy to remove to see in or for cleaning the glass. Graduating different shades or even backlighting can help add more of an illusion of depth.

Waterproof hockey shinpad tape works great to attach it.

Ruth
09-24-2006, 03:16 PM
You can go to an auto detailing place and buy some of the stuff they use and just stick it on the back - it peels off pretty easy. It's pretty cheap (they actually just gave it me) That way you can try a couple of different colours and see what you like best. It a PITA though if you have bulkheads back there.

Kabong
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
For spray painting Krylon fusion works.
I've also heard of Tremclad being rolled on. (but have not tried myself)

Jason McK
09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I just used Blue Spray paint from HD.

I was kinda not looking for stuff that was special for Glass, because if I didn't like it I wanted to be able to scrape it off. It has been fine

J

GMGQ
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I used latex kitchen/bathroom paint that's mold & mildew resistant. It comes off very easily if you ever wanna take it off.

I think the brand was CIL at home depot.

kwirky
09-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I used latex kitchen/bathroom paint that's mold & mildew resistant.

i wouldn't trust anything with "mold and mildew" chemicals. it's poison, and I wouldn't trust it near my own tank.

GMGQ
09-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Yet people trust it for their kitchens and bathrooms, where they prepare food for human consumption, soak in bath tubs, etc.

I lined the inside of my stand with mold & mildew resistant caulk too. With so much moisture and water in there, there's bound to be a chance of mold growth over time. I'm not going to risk mine or my family's health over a fish tank.

Last I heard, spray paint's kind of poisonous too. *shrug*

We're talking about painting the back of the tank on the OUTSIDE. I certainly hope nobody is painting the INSIDE of the back panel??? Besides, how often are the chances of someone wiping their hand on the back against the paint, and dipping it back into the tank?

i wouldn't trust anything with "mold and mildew" chemicals. it's poison, and I wouldn't trust it near my own tank.

Chin_Lee
09-25-2006, 04:17 AM
i don't think the "mildew" paint is a problem if you paint the outside which is what I did. Do not paint the inside of the tank. I used a good quality Outdoor acrylic latex. I needed about 4 coats to make it completely black thoroughly. And this stuff just peels off if with a window scraper if you want to at a later time.

MikeP
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I used a good quality Outdoor acrylic latex. I needed about 4 coats to make it completely black thoroughly. And this stuff just peels off if with a window scraper if you want to at a later time.

Thats a good idea, thanks