PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere Drill Tanks in Edmonton

Cam
09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I want to drill my tank im sure it can be drilled because its all half inch glass but was wondering if there is anybody locally that does it?
Thanks Cam

j-roc
09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
If you can't find anyone of the hobbists here to do it, a any glass shop should be able to perform that service for you.

safety4fire
09-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey Cam,

Ask Brad he should know, what size of hole were you thinking of having drilled?

Greg

Cam
09-24-2006, 01:40 AM
I dont even know, all i know is that i don't want to setup a hang on skimmer so im going to go the sump route, but really don't know anything about it yet.
I image the size of hole will depend on what skimmer i get?
I should ask Brad my saltwater guru, he's down for the weekend with the flu or something, hopefully he gets better soon.

safety4fire
09-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Call one of the shops in town that sells tanks, ask them if they drill tanks, and if they sell the fittings you would need.

j-roc
09-24-2006, 02:22 AM
I bet a glass shop would be alot cheaper than a aquarium shop, and they will have alot more experience with drilling glass also.

Cam
09-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks Guys I will Look Around!

bnhreef
09-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Hey Cam,

The best place to go in town is to Wholesale Bevel and Edge. That is where I had them drill my glass and cut it as well.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/business/AB/Edmonton/wholesale+bevel+and+edge/1%2C2/1715855.html?src=&stype=si

You do run the risk of the glass breaking. But chances are it won't. They will ask you if the glass is tempered. Hopefully it isn't. If it is, it will explode when then go to drill it. Most likely it isn't tempered. Most manufactured tanks (ie oceanic, all-glass) have a tempered bottom,while the side are not tempered.

Brad

Skimmerking
09-24-2006, 03:21 AM
or wait til i come up this week, and i can drill it for ya, if you have a dremel and the cutter i have the time to do it ...

mr_alberta
09-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Contact Rusty. He can drill holes for bulkheads from 1/2" to 2" with a diamond hole saw. I should know because he's using my bits!:mad: :bad-word: :razz:

Also, I would personally go with the larger sized holes, that way you have an easier upgrade path in the future (i.e. get a bigger return pump) and the chances of the standpipe plugging are greatly reduced.