PDA

View Full Version : Pleco help- on his back?

ken0042
09-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Hoping you guys can help me out one more time. A little background; I have a 25 gallon tank and had the same fish in there for over a year. About a year ago my cousin called- he was moving out of town, and could I take his fishes? Two were small- tetra type fish and they school nicely with my other tetras. Then there was the other one; an 8 inch pleco.

So to accomidate the additional fish I added an air pump with air stone to increase circulation, and every so often I would add a piece of zuchinni to feed the pleco. Over the summer the algae was starting to build up; so I cut out the zuchinni for a while. Last week the algae started to get better; so I started feeding the zuchinni again.

One day a week ago I saw the big pleco on his side. I thought he was dead, so I got out the net, and as soon as I touched him he swam away.

Today he is sitting there on his back. He is breathing, and has moved around the tank a few times. Once back on his tummy but otherwise on his back. His last place was the spot that belongs to the Rainbow Shark, and the shark was trying to move the pleco but he wouldn't budge. I nudged him with the air stone (small type) but he didn't respond. I ended up moving him with the air stone but he didn't respond.

Is the pleco dying? Or is there something else he's missing?

I do have another tank; it a 10 gallon that I use to get water ready for water changes and evaporation compensation. I would put him in there but it isn't heated, and it's pretty full of algae; to the point where the sides of the tank are dark. My plan for tomorrow was to clean the small tank out.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. These guys are my little buddies.

Buddyboy
09-23-2006, 06:08 AM
I have a pleco that's about 7 years old in my 15G tank. I have seen him do the same thing on many occasions. Like he is in a trance like state, doing that gulping thing that plecos do. hehe The pleco only does this on occasion and still looks healthy to me. Is he eating well? If so, I don't think you have much to worry about! :D

ken0042
09-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Well, sadly I went downstairs this morning to find him dead. So I suppose that answers that. Thanks anyways however.

One more question; how would you dispose of a fish that big? He's too big for the toilet, and to throw him into the garbage seems mean. I was thinking of going down to the river and releasing him. Or would that be a bad idea; ie envirnmentally?

RicePaddy
09-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Thats sad to hear. I do not think I would release any foreign speicies in our river systems. You may want to creamate him/her.

Will

ken0042
09-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I guess what I was looking for was more of an explanation or reason. Myself; I can't see how a dead fish in the river would do any harm; as the river's ecosystem is designed to break down dead fish. To me it would be like doing a burial at sea.

I think cremation is out; I'm not about to go spend $80 to have him cremated.

Cap'n
09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Bury it in a garden or flower bed.

Railskinner
09-23-2006, 07:22 PM
probubly just bury him in the garden would then be best

Moogled
09-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Just place him in the garbage bin.

Sure it might seem "mean" as you say, but it'll be over before you know it. Unless this fish has extreme sentimental value to you, it's probably not worth going through all the trouble of digging a site and burying him.

Besides, your other option was to flush him down the toilet anyways. Just that he didn't fit, right?

lukep77
11-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I have to chime on this topic, you say it was mean to throw the pleco out in the garbage, but did it ever occur that it was mean and cruel to keep a 8 inch pleco in a 25g tank.

A pleco that size would need at least a 90+ gallon tank to live happily.
So in stead of trying to figure out how to dispose of it you should have thought that the small tank was the main cause of its death.