PDA

View Full Version : Reduce bubbles in Seahorse tank?

bulletsworld
09-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Anyone have any idea's on modifications to reduce bubbles from 200 Aqua clear filter & a Red Sea Skimmer. What do other Seahorse owners use for filter or skimmer equipment on their tanks?

I purchased a tank that came complete with a pair of Kuda Seahorses. I read the horsies can't have ANY bubbles in their tank due to bubble (gas) disease. Never had Seahorses in all the years in hobby, first time. I plan to revamp the tank. So I'm open to any suggestions.

Any input appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-22-2006, 11:51 PM
My seahorse tank is a 90g divided into half with a glass partition. The clean water from the sump goes into my wife's reef tank first, then overflows into the seahorse refugium before going down the black overflow box. No bubbles. Maybe try putting a small clear box or eggcrate container filled with chaeto in front of the filter overflow to act as a bubble trap. They make bubbletrap boxes for Remora skimmers.

HTH,

Anthony

Dale
09-23-2006, 01:14 AM
How big is the tank? Can you do a sump?

The coralife skimmer also came with a microbubble diffuser. Perhaps you can find something like that for the skimmer.
In my case I reduced the turnover rate quite a bit (they are poor swimmers and don't do well in high flow tanks).
You can also modify your AC unit to reduce it's flow. One way is to snip some length off the blades of the impeller (a rather permanent act). Do this a bit at a time till the desired flow is attained. or, I've heard, you can interchange impellers with a smaller sized AC unit (Just here say. I haven't checked to see if the impellers are interchangeable).
________
Suzuki GR650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GR650)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Another way to trap the microbubbles would be to have the filters overflow into a breeding net cage, like they sell for guppies. Fill it with some chaeto & you would have a simple, inexpensive solution to the problem. Also, seahorses need to be fed at least 2 or 3 times a day. That makes for a high bioload, so a plumbed tank with a large in-sump skimmer is a bonus for dealing with the high nutrient load of a seahorse tank.

Anthony

Dale
09-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks Anthony, I like your simple refugium idea. You've got my brain a clickin !!!
________
medical marijuana (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)