PDA

View Full Version : yellow tail damsel tankmates

JOSH
09-22-2006, 06:53 PM
i bought one of these guys as my first fish, i kinda like him but id like to add a clown to the mix, would they be okay or will that damsel be a big jerk?

Midknight
09-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a strange pair in my tank, my Sergeant Major Damsel & my clown.
They work as a team at feeding time, one keeps everybody away as the other feeds and then they swap places.

untamed
09-22-2006, 09:33 PM
For 11 years, I kept a convict damsel (5 stripe), and a yellow tail in my 30 gallon. There was no doubt about who was boss, but the yellow tail lived 13 years in the tank...so I think he did pretty well.

During that time, I had two Maroon clowns. The first was not a very aggressive feeder, and I had to feed heavily to ensure he got food that the convict and yellow tail left. The 2nd is still with me, and he's always been a bit more assertive than my first.

As a side note, the yellow tail was actually the very first fish I every purchased. I didn't want to put a really valuable fish into the tank as I was unsure that the tank was completely cycled. It was, and that fish was with me for a very long time.

fortheloveofcrabs
09-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I have a yellow-tail blue damsel and two O. Clowns in my 16g nano. The damsel was there first. When I addded the clowns I also added the RBTA so the clowns had a safe house - but the damsel did *TRY* to pick on them at first. As far as feeding time goes, they just seem to have an understanding that they all need to eat.

Hope this helps.

Cam
09-24-2006, 02:28 AM
I put two clown (false peculas) into my tank when just starting out about a year ago, then i added a yellow tail damsel after 2 months. They have lived fine together.

JOSH
09-24-2006, 02:34 AM
i added a clown today and it seems like hes gettin beat up, so i turned off the lights and hes okay now