PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier?

Reefer Rob
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know where the best place to buy a dehumidifier is. My windows are already dripping, and the cool weather is just starting. My wife's REALLY not going to stand for this. :redface:

Midknight
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
I got mine at Candian Tire

Reefer Rob
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Is that a Simplicity model? Hows it working for you? They have one on sale that also has an air purifier and , LOL, a humidifier.

Midknight
09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Don't remeber the brand and was the cheapest and simplest one they had.
Worked really well, was getting a couple of gallons a day.
Was trying to figure out how to run it as an auto top off but was told it would be a bad idea. :wink:

b_james
09-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know where the best place to buy a dehumidifier is. My windows are already dripping, and the cool weather is just starting. My wife's REALLY not going to stand for this. :redface:

You probably have condensation building on the windows because your humitity in your home is still high from the summer months. as we move into winter the relative humidity will fall to as low as 5%. Before spending money on a dehumidifier you can try the following to lower your humidity in your house;

1. If you dont have one, purchase a hygrometer (used to measure relative humidity) Home depot should have them.

2. Turn on any exhaust fans you have such as bathroom range hood.

3. Run your furnace fan all the time to bring in dryer air from outside - also when running your exhaust fans you need to makeup the humid air your exhausting.

b_james
09-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I just noticed your from Langley BC... well I was thinking you were from Alberta.. oops. I imaging your winters are'nt as dry as it is here, With that said you may need mechanical means to dehumidify.

Dale
09-23-2006, 01:43 AM
I have also installed humidistats in homes. It connects to your bathroom exhaust fan and has settings for various degrees of humidity.
For ex. If you set it for 50% the fan will run until 50% humidity is acheived, then it shuts off. If the humidity rises above 50% the fan kicks in again.
________
vaporizer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/)

GMGQ
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
That's what I've been doing, turning on both the range hood and bathroom vents in the morning before I go to work. My tank is in the kitchen/dining room/living room (one long room), so when I come home from work, the air is sort of stuffy. I have my home theater in the living room, so I'm afraid of what the humidity may be doing to it.

Turning on the range hood definitely helps, but it's also kinda loud during the day (when my dogs are trying to sleep).

So I was wondering if a portable dehumidifier is a better way to go?

1. If you dont have one, purchase a hygrometer (used to measure relative humidity) Home depot should have them.

2. Turn on any exhaust fans you have such as bathroom range hood.

3. Run your furnace fan all the time to bring in dryer air from outside - also when running your exhaust fans you need to makeup the humid air your exhausting.

Reefer Rob
09-25-2006, 04:35 AM
I picked up the 60 qt dehumidifier from Canuck Tire. Probably way over kill, but it sure pulls out a lot of water from the air. Once I decide where I'm going to keep it, I'll need to run a line to a drain. Thinking of running it in the crawl space to keep the noise down.