PDA

View Full Version : Seba anomone (help please)

fishguyxd
09-22-2006, 03:56 AM
I have one but there are places on it where the tips and tenticle are very small like it has withdrawn on itself or it got burned meaning by salt directly (but that never happened at all) and the middle is very open and exsposed
it's stays in one place, but looks like part of it is trying to dye off there are two clowns hosting in it also water movement is good and water tests are ok ph was 8.0 and now 8.3 no ammonia,nitrite,just some nitrate but I have did water change calcium is 400

So any ideas what could be causing this I am abit stumped

please and thanks

Ruth
09-22-2006, 04:07 AM
First off what do you mean by "some" nitrate? Really need a #. Also what light do you have this guy under. Sebae's IMO really need MH light to make them happy. I know someone is going to jump on here and say I have one under PC or VHO or T5 but IMO for these guys to really thrive they need MH lighting.
I have a very large Sebae anemone that I bought close to a year ago now from Bulletsworld that I have under 400W MH lighting and it has never moved from where I put it and has probably grown to about 20" across when it is smiling and happy which is most of the time.

fishguyxd
09-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I had 10 mg/lit of nitrate before water change ,it's under pc's. I had one before and yes it did fine also. but this one is being funny.

goby1
09-22-2006, 02:06 PM
If you haven't already, check out the "invertebrates" forum in the Reference Library and go in anemones. There's a tonne of information there about sebae anemones. Other than that, I'd keep a close eye on it and, obviously, if it starts to deteriorate, I'd get it out of there.

mr_alberta
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
How long have you had this Sebae? You said you had another one before, what happened to that one? Or is it still in the tank? If that's the case, he might be part of the problem depending on how big your tank is.

fishguyxd
09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
there is only one in tank
I lost one when I went on vacation earier in the summer (temp problem)
this one is a couple weeks old I have had it for.

thanks for the link info

fishguyxd
09-23-2006, 01:17 AM
what are others feeding there's just for interest?

Ruth
09-23-2006, 01:32 AM
I feed mine chunks of shrimp, prawn and scallop as well as what it picks up when I feed the tank (it is very sticky). His host Maroon clown also takes it food.
I really hope your anemone makes it but I honestly feel that your challenged by the lighting on your tank and if you want to keep anemones like sebaes you should probably upgrade to MH lighting or try one of the less light demanding anemones.

FishFun
09-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I have a sebae & have had it for a long time :biggrin: . Sometimes they can take weeks or even months to get use to your tank & water conditions. It sounds like its just not fully inflating all the way around this is normal or it may be unhappy with the lights, but without a picture its hard to tell. I can tell you that sebae's need light & lots of it anemones have zooxanthellae & this is what needs light they are photosynthetic so light is a must. BTA's need the least amount of light, I havent heard of anyone keeping a sebae long term in a tank under pc's I have seen live for near 1 year with dailly feedings under pc's, they can live a long time without proper lighting but sooner or later it will bleach. When I got mine it was 3" & in about 5 months under 500watts of MH lighting its now over 8" & is a dark healthy brown. They dont need to be feed often once or twice a week, or under poor lighting then at least every 2 days is a must. I feed mine raw shrimp & mysis shrimp about once a week. Is it sticky by this I mean if some food were to touch it would it stick to it? I hope this helps!!!!

Ruth
09-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Sorry - double post for some reason

fishguyxd
09-23-2006, 03:20 AM
thanks for your posts I think the lighting may be the problem darn when I bought it I said what type of lighting i had but nothing was said I guess it's my fault as well should have researched it more.

FishFun
09-23-2006, 03:27 AM
The sebae is about the hardest to keep. Maybe a light upgrade or if you can bring it back or find someone who has good lighting. A BTA is a good starter anemone maybe give that a try. Is your sebea brown or white? or whitish? If I were closer Id buy your sebea....