PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Republic - Punta Cana?

bulletsworld
09-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Ever been there in December? Weather? Snorkel? Did you love it there? Where did you stay? Would you go back? Whats a must see there?

Trying to decide where to go for Christmas this year.

Thanks for any feedback.

Nate
09-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey,

I went there May of last year with my family and my girlfriend. Great place, we stayed at Royal Princess Caribe. I am moderately picky with food, and it was alright (better than Cuba in both mine and my girlfriends opinions).

Snorkling was weak...it is the carribean, so all you see is the regular stuff, not much in terms of corals, lots of fish, but definently not the best.

People were nice, my girlfriend felt like you were not as "schwindled" as you were in Cuba.

As for the weather in May, it is hot hot hot, with a normal breeze that keeps your body cool, good for surviving the long drinking days, but bad when it comes to felling the sunburns. I burned in my hairline and it hurt like hell.

Good place, somewhere to visit for sure.

Also, we stayed at the Royal Princess Caribe, adn were there for one week. My folks were there for two and said it was too long.

Have fun, pm me if you have questions.

Nate

muck
09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Was there last March for 2 weeks. Stayed at the Ocean Blue Golf & Beach Resort. The resort was fantastic. Very new, very clean, very well maintained. Most of the staff was exceptional as well. (especially the bartenders at the swim up bar. Most of them proudly displayed any little Canadian trinkets people gave them. pins, lanyards, etc.)

The weather was awesome when we went. Super Hot everyday with a ocean breeze. Some days were a little breezy down by the ocean but by the pool it was fairly sheltered.

The snorkeling is ok there. You pretty much had to book a tour to go snorkeling though as there wasn't anywhere to go just off shore. The places that might have been ok and not to far outside of the swimming areas had small boats ripping back and forth across them all day long. The last thing I wanted to have happen on vacation was just coming up from underneath the water and having to dodge all the boats.

We didn't go out to much and see things as we were loving just hanging out by the pool and beach in the sun. Pure relaxation I tell you. I have heard tell that Saona Island is very beautiful. Next time we will check that out for sure. It is a full day trip. (If I remember correctly you leave the resort at 7:00am and get back around 5:00pm.)

Any other questions or if you just want to see some pics.. give me a ring.

:biggrin:

Chaloupa
09-20-2006, 03:41 PM
We were there in Decemeber of 04. Our resort knew no english so that was a challenge, they had a 12+ hour scheduled power outage (they forgot to tell anyone) so not even the toilets worked, we swam with the rays and sharks...the boat that we went on was great..it was a huge party boat and man was it fun! It was a great experience. The trip overall was OK...we did get our "scuba" certification (later got my diving cert in Campbell River) but it was soooo windy! It was actually fairly windy the entire time we were there and not hugely sunny but warm. All in all as I said it was OK in December. If I can think of our resort name I will post it...I wouldn't go back to that resort.

Now Jamaica? We were there in December of 02 and that was absolutely AWESOME! We want to go back there one day as it was so amazing.

Skimmerking
09-20-2006, 04:39 PM
:mrgreen: Hey there Lee, i will tell ya anything you need to know only if you take me with ya....\\

mike

bulletsworld
09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
OoOOo please show me some pictures if ya have some. WOoHOO! I love pics! :mrgreen:

Thanks Everyone for all your feedback! Really helps to hear from people who have actually been there. I'm thinking Punta Cana might be too windy at Christmas time. Also seems the drive @ Punta Cana airport to lmost of the resorts is anywhere from 40mins, 1hr to 3hrs long! YIkS! Getting mixed reviews whether people actually liked it down in Dominican. Hmm...

So far still trying to decide on where to go during Christmas this year. I just can't decide. It's between these:

*Dominican Republic -Punta Cana
*Jamaica - Montego Bay
*Mexico - Cancun

tell me where you loved to go? And why you like it there? What is there to do there?

thanks a super bunch for any input! :mrgreen:

Now Jamaica? We were there in December of 02 and that was absolutely AWESOME! We want to go back there one day as it was so amazing.

Awesome! Please tell me more about your trip in Jamaica in December. I was worried it was an unsafe place to travel. But always thought it be great place to visit. Please tell more!! :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
:mrgreen: Hey there Lee, i will tell ya anything you need to know only if you take me with ya....\\mike

Sure, as long as you fit in my suitcase. LOL If only hey. :mrgreen:

muck
09-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Been to the Mayan Riviera (just south of Cancun) a couple times as well. Would definately go back and recommend to friends.

P.S. Got lots of pics of there as well. You know where I live.. :wink:

Chaloupa
09-20-2006, 09:29 PM
JAMAICA! It was the most amazing trip of my life! Friendly people, beautiful country (beer on every corner:redface:) ... we stayed at a rental villa called "On top of the world" close to Port Maria and it was a vacation like no other. Because we weren't in an all-inclusive we had a driver , cook/housekeeper and our cook's son that was a bit of security and a "groundskeeper". Our driver "Winston" an older fellow, took us to all the places you don't always get to see and we got to experience the side of Jamaica that is not part of your normal trip. The only drawback to this villa was that it was a 20 minute drive to the beaches...other than that it was AMAZING! We had to pay minimal gas fees and he took us everywhere....and helped us learn their way of speaking english which was very very cool! I'd recommend Jamaica ANYDAY! As I said in my earlier post it was FANTASTIC!

We rode horses in the ocean, went to the falls in Ocho Rios, went to a concert outside on Christmas day, went scuba diving (their diving is really nice) wanted to swim with dolphins but Ocho Rios is a port for cruise ships and so you have to book WAY in advance! All in all, lots to do and see.

bulletsworld
09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Been to the Mayan Riviera (just south of Cancun) a couple times as well. Would definately go back and recommend to friends.

P.S. Got lots of pics of there as well. You know where I live.. :wink:

Mayan Riviera hey... Hmm.. I was looking at that too cause they have the swimming with the Dolphins. Yeah I would love to hear more about your trip there! Did you like the Mayan Riviera before Punta Cana? Where did you guys stay in Mayan when you were there.

I was just checking the reviews on the Hotel you mentioned in Punta Cana you stayed at (Ocean Blue Golf & Beach Resort) Looks Nice! It actually gets raved reviews too, amazing beach! Going to read more. :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
09-20-2006, 09:39 PM
JAMAICA! It was the most amazing trip of my life! Friendly people, beautiful country (beer on every corner:redface:) ... we stayed at a rental villa called "On top of the world" close to Port Maria and it was a vacation like no other. Because we weren't in an all-inclusive we had a driver , cook/housekeeper and our cook's son that was a bit of security and a "groundskeeper". Our driver "Winston" an older fellow, took us to all the places you don't always get to see and we got to experience the side of Jamaica that is not part of your normal trip. The only drawback to this villa was that it was a 20 minute drive to the beaches...other than that it was AMAZING! We had to pay minimal gas fees and he took us everywhere....and helped us learn their way of speaking english which was very very cool! I'd recommend Jamaica ANYDAY! As I said in my earlier post it was FANTASTIC!

WOW! Your trip there sounds awesome! I wanna go now! hehe Damn too many decisions now. Searching like crazy... What activites or events do you do there though? Does Jamaica have Turquoise waters? Or is it dark blue like the pics? Was it breath taking? How was the weather there when you went in December? Did they celebrate Christmas? How long did you go for?

Yeah that was the only thing about the all-inclusive and being stuck on resort, I wasn't sure off. I love to venture! Thanks for any input! Much appreciated! :mrgreen:

i have crabs
09-22-2006, 03:03 AM
i got married at sunscape the beach resort in punta cana in january, it was a super resort but the beach's thier are rocky too bad it was so windy we couldnt do much water activitys but it was still great.

safety4fire
09-22-2006, 05:05 AM
I was there back in 1998, it was one of the stops on a Cruise I was on, I got married in Puerto Rico on the same Cruise. I never stayed in a resort there, so I can't comment on it, I did tour some of it though. I have heard nothing but good things from people who have stayed at one of it's resorts.

Buenas noches

Greg

bulletsworld
09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
i got married at sunscape the beach resort in punta cana in january, it was a super resort but the beach's thier are rocky too bad it was so windy we couldnt do much water activitys but it was still great.

Yes..I remember seeing the pictures you posted back then. I will never forget the one picture you showed us of the HUGE porcupine puffer dried on the beach :sad: But it showed how big they can get, AMAZING!

Yeah I thought someone posted once that it was windy in Punta Cana during Dec -Jan. Bummer but so good to know. No fun if you can't do any water activities. I will have to go another time then. :sad: But for future reference.. Did you like the, Sunscape Beach Resort? :question: Did you get bugged by time share sale's people? I heard that happens.

I think we decided to go to Jamaica for Christmas this year! WoOhOO! Just researching about Jamaica now. Anyone else been there?

Any info appreciated. Thanks a bunch

i have crabs
09-23-2006, 12:34 AM
it was the most amaising resort ive ever seen and i would recomend anyone to go thier,i wasnt bugged by anyone except the few people selling paintings and day trips wich was no bother at all and i recomend going on as many trips as you can.

bulletsworld
09-28-2006, 09:50 PM
it was the most amaising resort ive ever seen and i would recomend anyone to go thier,i wasnt bugged by anyone except the few people selling paintings and day trips wich was no bother at all and i recomend going on as many trips as you can.

Thats awesome to know. I will definitely look at that resort when we plan to go to Punta Cana next year. I do hear its beautiful there as well. Would love to dive there and see a HUGE puffy, if thats even possible. It's a bummer its windy during xmas time or else I would be going there instead of Jamaica.

:mrgreen: