PDA

View Full Version : Removing Coralline

BCWolfen
09-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Lots of threads on how to grow the stuff, but how about removing it.
I just got my 140Gal Arcylic tank (used) and its has dried/dead coralline on the front pane. What is the best way to remove it? I don't have water in it yet so can do just about anything. I thought I read somewhere that vinegar will help dissolve it. The tank has full bracing around so I could lay it on its front with an a skim of vinegar on it and then use the plastic scraper to scrape? If that would work.

Also is it safe to use the current algae magnets I have on the acrylic tank.

TY TY :)

Joe Reefer
09-19-2006, 05:00 AM
I used a razor and vinegar on my tank but it was glass.

StirCrazy
09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I just pour strait vinager in and let it soak.. then I will tip the tank over on its side enuf to let the vinager cover that and soak again. then the next side and so on..

Steve

Ruth
09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I have 3 acrylic tanks (2 X 20g and 1 X 190g) and IME they scratch very very easily so be very careful. I would not use the magnet cleaner if I was you. It is too easy for a little piece of "something" to get stuck under the magnet and scratch your tank. I have used just the acrylic scrapers to get coralline off with no scratches but you do have to be careful. Soaking the tank with vinegar before it is filled with water should allow you to just about wipe the encrusted coralline off with a soft cloth - or use an acrylic scraper lightly.

BCWolfen
09-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys.
Wed night is gonna be cleaning night and then Thursday will start assembly. :)

1bigstud
09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but how about getting rid of coraline from the glass of a tank that is already up and running?

GMGQ
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Scrape it with a razor.

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but how about getting rid of coraline from the glass of a tank that is already up and running?

muck
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23798

GMGQ
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree. Soak the area with white vinegar, then wipe it away with a cloth/paper towel/sponge/etc. Anything that's soft and wont cause scratches.

After soaking it, it will wipe right off. It's the same trick as cleaning other equipment that's covered in coraline. Stuff just comes right off after soaking it in vinegar (I usually do half water half vinegar).

I have 3 acrylic tanks (2 X 20g and 1 X 190g) and IME they scratch very very easily so be very careful. I would not use the magnet cleaner if I was you. It is too easy for a little piece of "something" to get stuck under the magnet and scratch your tank. I have used just the acrylic scrapers to get coralline off with no scratches but you do have to be careful. Soaking the tank with vinegar before it is filled with water should allow you to just about wipe the encrusted coralline off with a soft cloth - or use an acrylic scraper lightly.

chwkreefer
09-20-2006, 09:25 PM
How about using some diluted muriatic acid? I always use it to clean up PH's, pumps . . anything covered with coralline. This summer I took my acrylic sump out which was covered in coralline. I used the muriatic on it and it cleaned up fast and easy. I just find vinegar takes way too long for me. Vinegar is a much milder acid compared to muriatic acid.

A person just has to be careful when working with such strong chemicals(ie.. gloves, goggles, and access to fresh water) and make sure to do it in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. But it will make short work of the job of cleaning the tank. It will soften the algae within minutes and then just take a hose and careful rinse it out.

Muriatic acid is used for swimming pools, etching concrete and a host of other uses. A gallon costs about $12 or so.

A razor blade on an acrylic tank is probably not a very good idea and you would run the risk of scratching up the plastic very easily.

Bill