PDA

View Full Version : What kind of ballast

GinKu
08-07-2002, 10:23 PM
what type of ballast that i can find in edmonton? i was looking at this one forum about overdriveing the bulbs by 4X by using 4 lamp F32T8 ballast but i couldn't find it at home depot they don't carrie them no more, is there ne other DIY lighing system, i don't wanna spend a chunk of money just for a lighting

FishGeek
08-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Check electronic wholesales! they have all kinds of ballasts for the same price the pets stores buys them for!

StirCrazy
08-09-2002, 10:41 AM
if you can find them I think your best bet would be to go with a Workhorse ballast, they are made by Fulham and are a high quality electronic Ballast that can run different bulbs even at the same time like a IceCap. the difference.. they are a lot cheeeper than a icecap, have a higher outdoor rating and also a higher noise raiting.

Steve

reefburnaby
08-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I agree with Stircrazy, that your best bet is to get a Workhorse. 2x overdrive by default is on the Workhorse 5 and 7.

For a list of local distributors, check out www.fulham.com. (http://www.fulham.com.) They have a list of distributors for your area.

- Victor.

titus
08-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Hello,

I believe the IceCap is quiet enough as it is right now. tongue.gif

Titus

StirCrazy
08-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Titus:
Hello,

I believe the IceCap is quiet enough as it is right now. tongue.gif

Titus<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">um... you trying to make a obscure joke Titus? ;)
the IceCap is a very noisy ballast (as in electrical interferiance)

the Fultham is a
Class P (Thermal) Sound Rating - A
Type 1 Outdoors

whare IceCap also has a sound rating of "A" but for some reason it interfears with X-10 (this is what I mean by noisey)

its outdoor rating is only a "Type 2 Outdoors" which means it cannot handle as much moisture as a "Type 1 Outdoors"

anyways just in savings on price alone you are farther ahead with a Fulham workhorse.

Steve

Dez
09-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Tony, I wouldn't worry about more lighting right now on your tank. It seems that you have sufficient lighting for now. Why don't you start getting a bit of livestock and coral and see how well they grow under you exhisting lighting. I guarantee that mushrooms and zoanthids and leathers will do excellent in your tank if the water perameters are good. Just a suggestion.

Des

GinKu
09-08-2002, 02:48 AM
hey dez can i buy some frag off of u? i remember u telling me that u had a coral farm or something like that

GinKu
09-08-2002, 04:37 AM
do the Workhorse 5 and 7 run VHO?

StirCrazy
09-08-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Ginku:
do the Workhorse 5 and 7 run VHO?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes, the WH7 will run VHO in two ways.. the first being underdriven like a IceCap runs them, the second being at full power, but when you do it the second way you can ony run one tube per ballast instead of two. I am not sure about the WH5 as I have never tried that one.

Steve