PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Cleaner

AndyL
09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
New aquisition:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/reef/sept17-06014.jpg

surgeonfish
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
When did you get your cleaner? I had one to help with Ich on my boxfix and Hippo tang. It was fun to watch most of the fish stop to get cleaned. The smaller damsels didn't seem too interested. It seemed happy eating flake, frozen and live brine shrimp. However, a month later I went on holidays for a week and it was gone when I got back. Do you have lots of fish for it to clean?

AndyL
09-17-2006, 11:09 PM
This guys new today, I've got another (without the red finnage) that I got about a month back. Not sure on the new one yet, the existing eats anything I toss in the tank (Loves to go after the weekly drop of kent zoomax ?!?!?!? Must think he's a clam / brain).

surgeonfish
09-18-2006, 04:19 AM
If you don't mind where did you get your fish from and are there still any available? I have to make a run to Calgary next weekend? Are they both in the same tank?

AndyL
09-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Ocean city was the source of this one... They had another, but I'm willing to bet it's already gone (was another shopper drooling over it while I was there).

Yup same tank.

Delphinus
09-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Them Hawaiian cleaners sure are purdy...

albert_dao
09-18-2006, 04:49 AM
They're also suppose to be protected... haha

Nice score.

Snappy
09-19-2006, 06:16 AM
They're also suppose to be protected... haha

Nice score.
I think Andy is protecting it. :razz:

AndyL
09-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Nah protected = rare... I'm thinking ebay to fund my new skimmer :lol:

Delphinus
09-19-2006, 03:24 PM
"Protected" as in listed on Appendix I or II, or "protected" in that the numbers exported out of Hawaii are limited?

I seem to find conflicting info as to whether Labroides phthirophagus is endemic to only Hawaiian waters (most documentation seems to claim this, but I found at least one site that claims "Federated States of Micronesia").

more1020
09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Nice!

Moogled
09-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Someone pin Andy down while me and others try to net the fish out of his tank! :P

AndyL
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Someone pin Andy down while me and others try to net the fish out of his tank! :P

LOL - You can only try :mrgreen: Beware of my viscious attack tang (much scarier than my mutt) :lol:

Now, as I understand it - only the hawaiians are supposed to have the yellow face and red finnage. They're fairly well distributed in the indo pacific I'd previously read. The Yellow headed ones, and those without the gold/yellow alltogether seem to appear with shipments from various different origins throughout the pacific...

Of course I could be very wrong... I'm not a wrasse afficionado by any means.

OBWC (Obligatory wrasse content) Lil bugger scared me this morning - he was in a ball of fuzz, didn't react when proded with the tongs - Didn't move when I netted him, bagged him, and took him in the direction of the trash... Just as he's about to head off to that Coral reef in the sky - darn guy starts doing backflips... Forgot about these darn wrasses and their sleep habits!

surgeonfish
09-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Scary!
Maybe he/she was watchinng Nemo. Remember, all drains lead to the ocean!