PDA

View Full Version : Seastar aquariums

fkshiu
09-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Anyone ever have a custom aquarium built by Seastar?

How's the quality and price?

BeverIy
09-17-2006, 03:23 AM
:biggrin:

Johnny Reefer
12-09-2006, 03:53 AM
I've bought quite a few Seastar tanks over the last 8 years (like 10 tanks).
Overall I have been satisfied with them. I think they are generally well built.
Most have been standard tanks, except for the last two.
However, a few aspects with the last two tanks I have purchased from them warrant some mention, IMO.
I bought a 180g Seastar one year ago. One of two overflows leaked.
I just bought a second 180g. Again, one of two overflows leaked. Not only that, but this time both standpipes leaked also. One was inadequately teflon taped and the other was not teflon taped at all. Standpipes leak if they are not teflon taped.
Also, I think the cross bracing is overkill on both tanks. Two 12" braces on each tank. I asked for smaller braces on the second tank, but was told that the 12" braces were necessary for a warranty and anything less would nullify that. Both tanks are 72" x 24" x 24"
Not trying to be vicous here. Just pointing out some observations and personal experience. A few things to be aware of for others who are considering Seastars. Like I said, they are generally well built, but subject to minor flaws that could be a PITA during set-up.

Cheers,

Squiddy
12-09-2006, 06:26 AM
My display and my sump are both SeaStar and I haven't had any problems so far. I agree with Johnny in that the standpipe leaks without teflon but I assumed that it was necessary anyways. I got a really good deal on my display tank but there is a good size chip on the inside corner at the front of the tank. The tank is fine though. My 90G display came with a drilled overflow and return built into an overflow box in the back left corner. The tank also has Euro bracing which is nice in that there is no center brace, but it makes it a bit more difficult to reach the bottom of the tank because you have to reach around the bracing.

The imported SeaStar tanks that Wayne gets are fairly nice. I like the wrapped corners but I'm not a fan of the hood or stands that come with them. The hood is cheaply built aluminum and doesn't really go together that well. The stands on these tanks are also no good if you want to put a sump into the system. The compartments in the stands are sectioned off to provide stability and allow no room for anything other than a few supplies. I've got a friend that just bought an imported 115G bowfront from SeaStar and is planning to have them drill it out for a sump that he will put beside the tank in some kind of external stand. Will have to see how that works out.

StirCrazy
12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
yup, my 94 is a custom.. awsome tanks, buit heaver then they need to be so center brace can be removed with no problem on some tanks, but alas there is no more seastar.. new owner new name.. but apraently same quality and faster than old sea star.

Steve