PDA

View Full Version : My New Skimmer

Jim Barry
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Here is a picture of my new Austin Ocean 5200 double beckett skimmer in operation. It is awesome!!!! I recommend this skimmer as it is the best one I have ever seen. Thanks Medican for talking me into buying it and doing the installation.

Delphinus
09-16-2006, 05:43 PM
It's invisible?? :razz:

AndyL
09-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Thinking he was having issues with galleries...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/Img2006_09_1102.JPG
^^was newly uploaded in his gallery

Nice lookin skimmer!

Chin_Lee
09-16-2006, 06:24 PM
wow thats beautiful. I love the becketts for their dense foaming ability. What pump(s) are being used? How tall is it?

Jim Barry
09-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks Andy... I was having trouble with loading the picture.

The skimmer is 48" high and is being powered by an Iwaki 100MX (2000 gph)

Jim Barry
09-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Here is the link for the skimmer

http://www.austinoceans.com/products-skimmers.html#supersize

EmilyB
09-16-2006, 06:49 PM
:D WOW ! I can't wait, mine should be here next week !!!!!

Joe Reefer
09-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Cool, I just got a dual beckett also, cant wait to have it running. Does that thing have auto clean collection cup doomahicky?

Jim Barry
09-16-2006, 06:56 PM
There is also a pressurized waste collector. When the 18" collector gets full it shuts down the skimmer. No more flooding of yucky stinky water on the floor

Jim Barry
09-16-2006, 07:20 PM
:D WOW ! I can't wait, mine should be here next week !!!!!

haha.... beat ya

Delphinus
09-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Sweet skimmer. Brent's designs are awesome, I want one myself.

Ruth
09-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Nice skimmer! I have never tried using a beckett skimmer although I do have one I should hook up and give a try - just would have to drill my sump so it is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Keep us updated on performance.

medican
09-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Was just over there and I have never seen clearer water in my life...

That skimmer is truly top notch.........

Hey Jim.........nice plumb job........lmao

Skimmerking
09-17-2006, 01:15 AM
I see that everyone is starting to lean towards Beckett agains what is heck is going on....

albert_dao
09-17-2006, 06:04 AM
S'cause not all of us want to dish out five G's for a Bubble King.

Beckett's sure work good, but... Man, I'd love to have a Bubble King in my basement. You know, just to say that I had one. It's pretty fricking sweet.

kari
09-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Hey Jim,

What size are the two air valves on the becketts, 1/4" or 3/8"?

trilinearmipmap
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Jim,

I was thinking of getting a calcium reactor from the same company, how did the shipping work, out, I would imagine it is quite expensive to ship large bulky thinks like that up here.

Jim Barry
09-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Send a message to Medican.... They have sent a Calcium Reactor to him twice and it arrived smashed each time. I got lucky getting my skimmer in one piece.

trilinearmipmap
09-17-2006, 07:22 PM
OK that makes me feel more confident.

medican
09-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Kari.......1/4

trilinearmipmap........Yes it has been rough with the shipping....NOT Austin's falt, they have been very helpful....first reactor just a cardboard box(USPS)$35.00....second reacor(had me in tears:cry: )(UPS)$155.00 box reinforced with 1/8 hard board on six sides.....for the next one Austin is building a wooden crate for my ca reactor and should be here in the next couple of weeks. They have sent two others to Canada in just boxs and no problem....just bad luck for me.

Austin is a good company even Jim's has custom things on it with no extra charge.....top notch quality and workmen ship as well....I have never seen better.

The Ca reactor is of the same quality, if you look at the specs you can't get it built like that anywere. IMO its the best there is. MY GOD is it good looking as well. it even has a spot for a prob in the top so you can see what the PH is in the chambers. It also comes with a flow meter so you can just look and see what your efluent flow is. this is for there skimmers mainly there is a port on the main box for the Ca reactor to flow in and there is another port in the beckets for ozone......WAY TO COOL.....:razz:

P.S. Jim I need to come over and take better pics of the skimmer Austin wants it on there website if its ok with you?

Razz
09-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Looks great Jim, do you mind sharing what the shipping and duty costs were? And one more if you dont mind, is the skimmer pump internal to the sump, just wondering as my sump is not drilled, by the look of that skimmer it will be hard not too start planning for an order asap.

medican
09-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Check this out

Austin Oceans is so pleased with how Jim's and soon to be Deb's skimmer turnned out there offering all us Canadian folk a deal.......

http://austinoceans.com/canadacustomers.html (http://austinoceans.com/canadacustomers.html)

Delphinus
09-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Sweet.

Here's a question for you guys .. how long did it take from order to delivery? Do they stock them or will they construct once the order is taken?

medican
09-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Hey Tony....how are ya???Well....Jim's about a month or so, they have just taken over Brent's making of the stuff. Deb's once it is here I think about two weeks. They say once they catch up to suppliers and get in full swing....should be now, shouldent take long. They water test everything they put out. Jim's got put back a bit due to parts and they found a water leek at testing so back into the shop it went. Well worth the wait......
In most cases they will have them in stock....depends on demand....If they don't it will be made as ordered I'm thinking.

trilinearmipmap
09-20-2006, 04:55 AM
I was thinking of getting one of their calcium reactors, the design seems very well thought-out.

Razz
09-30-2006, 03:03 AM
Jim, Have you got an update on your new skimmer, hows it running, I have heard from other websites that it runs very noisy, with limited skimming after you have put your hands in the tank or other oily type things. I really like the idea of the skimmer but skeptical until a few reviews come through. Any comments would sure be appreciated.

EmilyB
09-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Jim's is in his basement and ours will be in the room with us, so I hope that will make the difference.

I know we have switched from ordering the Iwaki (which Jim has, which would be too noisy in the room), to the Sequence. Our skimmer still hasn't shipped, they found some flaws and want it perfect......

medican
10-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Jim, Have you got an update on your new skimmer, hows it running, I have heard from other websites that it runs very noisy, with limited skimming after you have put your hands in the tank or other oily type things. I really like the idea of the skimmer but skeptical until a few reviews come through. Any comments would sure be appreciated.

Hey Razz.....

Jim has been busy these days so I'll pipe in if you don't mind....:mrgreen:

The skimmer is quite for something that has 2000GPH running through it. Each Beckett is sucking 35 SCFH but it goes through a few tubes and through a air filter/silencer so you hear a little bit from it but not much.
Yes...the skimmer for its size is sensitive to water changes(hands no, oily food yes) as all skimmers are to one degree or another. but does return to normal very soon.

THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED TO DATE:

Iwaki 100MX great pump for this skimmer but a higher level os noise from it. Sequence is a better choice if noise is a large factor.

After cleaning make sure all seals are lubed and in place before you start back up.

This is no toy........its made to handle the big boys.

Waist collector a must......if skimmer goes nuts like all can......2000 GPH need I say more.......:lol:

Get a hold of Jim I'm sure he wouldent mind showing it off. (you might think he is compansating for something) :lol:

Hope this helps