PDA

View Full Version : Anemone in a 10g

saltwatermaniac
09-14-2006, 01:12 AM
I was just wondering if an bubble tip anemone would survive underneath a 60 watt atinic bulb?

trilinearmipmap
09-14-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't recommend it, aside from the issue of lighting IMO a 10 gallon doesn't have enough biologic filtration, or stability of water parameters, to support an anemone.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Besides actinic gives very little useful light to anemones compared to a 10000k bulb. I've seen nanos with BTAs but you would have to change the light & make sure that your tank conditions are optimal & stable. Not recommended but possible. Anemones, as you've probably researched, are not easy to keep & if you do decide to do this, try to get a clone from a fellow reefer, rather than a wild harvested one.

Anthony

i have crabs
09-14-2006, 03:45 AM
it would have to be extremly small to be ok

Buddyboy
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
In your opinion, what is the smallest tank that a BTA can be kept happily in?

Chad
10-05-2006, 08:01 PM
My Rose BTA was not happy until I got him in my 50gal. I had him in a 20gal for over a year, but he never did all that great.. Since being in the 50 gal he has easy quadrupled in size.

I think a better guage would be to ask, how much experience you have in reef keeping in general? What sort of animals do you currently keep? Chances are if your experience is limited to a 10gal nano with a atinic light and some softies, your not ready for a anemone.

Your better off slowly graduating yourself to some more difficult things, for instance, maintaining your tank at acceptable levels for a long duration. Would be your first task IMHO.

This would include, nitrate at near zero, SG that is fairly steady, Alk at 10dkh or so, Cal at 450 or so. Etc etc..

baby steps :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Had a LTA in my 33g (sumpless, skimmerless, PC & T5-lit), but it grew from 3" to 14" across (fed scallops & tiger prawns) & was not really comfortable in a 12" wide tank. Now its in my 65g with a large sump & ASM G3 skimmer & much happier.

Larger, more stable tank with MH lighting is much better for having success with an anemone than trying to keep it under less than ideal conditions in your 10g nano. (where it would probably wander endlessly, stinging your corals, & eventually melting away or getting sucked into a powerhead - this is the fate of too many anemones unfortunately)

Anthony