PDA

View Full Version : Overflow

1bigstud
09-13-2006, 06:58 AM
So this is my second tank I've setup, and of course I've learned something else new. Instead of filling a tank a couple days after you get home u should wait and have it drilled. Unfortunatley I now have to use an overflow box which is quite loud and occasionally will get a fish stuck in it. Any solutions to either of these problems???

Glennrf38
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I have my little tank setup with 3/4 inch PVC overflows. I now have 2 of them so I can have my pump at full blast. Not sure how big of a tank you are talking about though.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26490

Glenn

GMGQ
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Wrap some Gutter Guard around the intake box of the overflow. Cut it to size to wrap around 3 sides of the box, then fold it at the corners, and zip tie it around the back. That should help with preventing fish and other critters from going in there.

For the sound, assuming your overflow box has 2 drains, you can add a gate valve to one of the drains, where it exits into your sump. Just choke back the flow so that you doing get that "toilet bowl" effect from that drain line. It should be 100% silent.

Then cut a piece of PVC to make the other drain taller. This one would be the Emergency drain, in case the main one gets clogged up.

1bigstud
09-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Gary. Unfortunatley I only have to one drain line.

Kryten
09-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I have a single-drain overflow box too. It was also kinda loud when I first set it up, so I took a piece of filter sponge that had come with a protein skimmer (same kind of stuff as with aquaclear filters) and stuffed it in the drain. Worked like a charm, just have to keep it clean so it doesn't clog and flood.

1bigstud
09-14-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks steve I will have to try that out

Rick.