PDA

View Full Version : Buying fish and Live Rock question

hummer
09-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi,
I started my salt water tank about a year ago (I use to do freshwater). I'm still fairly new and learning. I have 2 questions:
1. I alway buy my fish from stores specializing in Salt Water. Are there any issues from buying fish from normal pet stores like Petcetra or PetLand?
2. Is there a way I can tell the health of my Live Rock?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

muck
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Welcome to Canreef. :biggrin:

fishmanty
09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey, and welcome.

Answer to question #1: Petland's I don't think sell saltwater, and be careful around Petcetera. Calgary is iffy with them... I know the store manager at one, so I get fish in, and pick them up before they hit there tanks. Edmonton to my understanding has crappy petcetera saltwater systems, and Van is supposed to be better than Calgary and edmonton. All depends where you are located, and who you talk to. Its best to talk to private owned saltwater stores. The fish are taken care of by the owners, and when one dies, they lose the money, as when a fish gets sick at a retail chain, the employees don't suffer any loss when a fish dies, and therefore, they don't care much. Plus, all they hire is unexperienced kids these days, and they know nothing from what I've heard.