PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Cam
09-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Im looking at getting a protien skimmer for a 45 gallon cubic tank. What type of skimmer is best. I have heard that the hanging ones are a pain. Any advice will help.
Thanks
Cam

BMW Rider
09-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Unless you have a sump, you will be pretty much limited to the HOB type skimmers. I'm using a Coralife Super skimmer on my 50 gallon tank. It can be used either HOB or in sump as I have it set up. Some people have had issue with it as an HOB, mainly leaks and such. Otherwise it is a good skimmer and its quite economical.

Coderad
09-12-2006, 02:00 AM
I have heard lots of good things about the Aqua C Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer that will be my next purches.

marie
09-12-2006, 02:01 AM
If you can spend some money get deltec.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=DD-P0500

Actually i haven't tried it yet but I've heard it's pretty good

At the moment I have a Remora pro and I hate it. Not only is the pump big and ugly but it isn't skimming worth a darn :twised:

niloc16
09-12-2006, 02:18 AM
on my 55gal i use remora aqua c and it rocks

albert_dao
09-12-2006, 02:23 AM
If you can spend some money get deltec.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=DD-P0500

Actually i haven't tried it yet but I've heard it's pretty good

At the moment I have a Remora pro and I hate it. Not only is the pump big and ugly but it isn't skimming worth a darn :twised:

I've researched this thing extensively and it is, at best, inconsistant... Not good enough for that kinda money.

marie
09-12-2006, 02:28 AM
I've researched this thing extensively and it is, at best, inconsistant... Not good enough for that kinda money.

Glad I haven't bought one then :biggrin: .

I have a remora pro, a prism pro and a bak pak skimmer. The only one of those worth the money is the bak pak, providing you put the maxi jet on it

Osiris
09-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I would get the Aqua C..Mine works awsome, never had a problem with it. Always pulls out nice dark crud. I will admit when it starts to produce less crud just clean out the injector and viola!!

Moogled
09-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Aqua C Remora.

fishmanty
09-12-2006, 04:03 AM
I got a remora used, and it works worth crap. I think the pump sucks, or something, but it skims absolutely nothing compared to my Red Sea Prizm (Which isn't the best thing, but for a mantis, its all I need). I like my CSS the most. I've only had 2 overflows because I added water without turning it down, and it skims great. For economical skimmers, its my favourite. Im getting a second one this week

Quagmire
09-12-2006, 04:38 AM
I have a Remora ( not pro ) running a mag3.Very wet skimmate set on the driest setting,sort of tea colored.Has to be emptied every day.The pumps they originaly came with are too small,but I think the newer ones have upgraded pumps.

Chaloupa
09-12-2006, 06:08 AM
I have 2 Remora Pro's...one on my 65g reef and had one on my 50g FOWLR (just took down...). I don't have many complaints...they skimmed well for me...very wet skimate never really dry but I only empty..when it needs it - and give it a scrub (all tubes, collection cup, inside of where collection cup sits) each time I empty it. I do think they may be a bit noisy but I don't have much to compare them to. I didn't like the microbubbles I got from them though and the one on my 50g had a prefilter box but it is large and a bit invasive...the one on the reef sits on the side of the custom sump (yea I know I should have an insump but there still is no room) so the microbubbles have a chance to dissipate first...all in all I do still really like them when you have HOB as your option. I had a Prism Pro and it was awful! Just my 2 cents!

Ruth
09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I have 2 Deltec HOB skimmers and 1 Remora Pro HOB skimmer. IME the Deltec skimmers work very well and I would definately rate it the best skimmer of the 2. The other plus of the Deltec is that there is no large pump sitting in your tank. As far as rating them for actual skimming ability I would still rate the Deltec as the best but don't know that the difference in price is worth the difference is skimming. The Deltec is quite a bit more expensive than the Remora Pro and I would not say that it skims THAT much better, however the austetics are definately worth something to me - and as far as quality of construction I would again rate the Deltec better. HTH

danny zubot
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I would second Ed's choice. The Coralife super skimmers are great. A little sensitive to adjust but quite simple and easy to work with.