PDA

View Full Version : Too much wrasse for my tank?

Buddyboy
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi All,

I have a Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura) on hold at a LFS. I did a bit of research this weekend and it looks like their size tops out at 4". I have a soon to be 50G tank. (36"x18") Would this be big enough for this fish? Anybody have any experiences? It's strange because on Live Aquaria the Mystery Wrasse has a minimum tank size of 30G (top size 5") but the Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse has a minimum tank size of 70G! Is there something i'm missing? It's on hold till tonight. What should I do? Thanks for any info!

G

Beverly
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
We used to keep a blue sided fairy wrasse, and currently have a solarensis fairy wrasse. Both grow to about the same size, about 4" long, and don't take very long to reach that length when well fed. I feed PE mysis twice daily to our 120g, 4' reef.

They are great swimmers and like to swim in the open and through caves in the rockwork. Personally, I wouldn't keep a blue sided fairy wrasse (or solarensis fairy wrasse) in a tank less than 4'. JMHO, though. Others may find these fairy wrasses okay in a 3' tank.

Buddyboy
09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
The wrasse will be sharing the tank with a Midas Blenny and 2 Percula Clownfish. I looked at some of the Flasher wrasses and they don't seem to grow so big. How are the fairy wrasses for bioload? Big poopers?

Beverly
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Yes, flasher wrasses are smaller than fairy wrasses. And they can come in some very beautiful colours, too. IME, fairy wrasses are average poopers, though not exactly sure if that helps you. Whichever wrasse you choose, make sure to cover any open areas with eggcrate. Wrasses are notorious jumpers.

Buddyboy
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the help Beverly! I've decided to pass on the Blue Sided Fairy wrasse. Just a bit too big for my tank I think. Will hold out for a Flasher wrasse(s). Are they a rare find at the LFS? Don't think i've seen many around..... but then again, I wasn't really looking.... Thanks again! :D

Beverly
09-12-2006, 01:22 AM
You're welcome for the information :)

You can probably one have one flasher wrasse in a tank your size. I think you will have better luck finding flasher wrasses in Vancouver than we can find here in Edmonton :wink:

Buddyboy
09-12-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeah, we have a few fish stores in town! I'll quit whining! :p