PDA

View Full Version : South Calgary Large Tank Tour

andrewsk
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
After some discussion with Al and Albert we have decided to try and set up a few tours of some of the larger (150+) Reef/Fish tanks in the city.

Albert is going to speak to some of his customers to see if they would be interested in hosting/participating in the tour. )If you are interested in hosting PLEASE let me know ASAP :) )

So far the plan is to get about 6 or 7 tanks for viewing in the South. (We would do a North one next) so travelling back and forth across town is minimized. We would have a maximum of about 15 people on the tour. (1st dibbs would go to the organizers and those displaying their tanks)

We would spend roughly 30 - 40 minutes at each location and would ask that any fragging or exchanging of items be done after the tour so we can keep things moving.

The first thing we need to do is get the vollunteers displaying their tanks confirmed. We will then begin taking names of those interested in the tour.

So far we are looking at doing this on a weekend afternoon or evening depending on what works best for all. (Albert, I think evenings are better for you)

Anyway, this is just in the initial planning stages, so keep your eyes on this thread for more details as we move forward.

Thanks!

Keith

Snappy
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Sounds good, count me in to host and participate in the tour.

danny zubot
09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Way to alienate all of us small reef keepers. :sad:

andrewsk
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Way to alienate all of us small reef keepers. :sad:

Basically the reason for doing this was that since most of us Reefers do have tanks < 100 gallons , it would be something different/new to see instead of something nearly the same as their own tanks.

I guess there is a guy with a 1500 gallon tank that Albert knows and I for one would be more interested in seeing that instead of a 50 gallon tank just to see how he handles the scale and see all of the equipment most of us never really get the chance to play with.

I dont think most 50 gallon tanks employ Ozonizers, Dosing Pumps, Giant Skimmers, Zeovit systems, Large Refugiums etc. If they did, that would probably be a great tank to tour as it would be something novel for most of us.

No offense intended to the smaller tanks :)

Buccaneer
09-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I will check with Rico ( perodogo ) to see if he is interested as well ( in case he does not see this post )

He has a 500G FOWLR monster ... awesome tank !!!

andrewsk
09-12-2006, 05:31 AM
I will check with Rico ( perodogo ) to see if he is interested as well ( in case he does not see this post )

He has a 500G FOWLR monster ... awesome tank !!!

Sounds great. Thanks for checking.

DiscusZ
09-12-2006, 07:07 AM
ya Rico's setup is sweet. was out there once swapping a pump with him definately a tank to see.

danny zubot
09-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Well I guess if you are talking that big it would be worth a look. I'm in if I'm still invited, it would be a chance to get some nice pics.

kwirky
09-12-2006, 04:58 PM
i'd like to come along if there's room, and it doesn't fall on a day where i have class/buttloads of homework. It'd be cool to see some nice setups to let me know where I'd like mine to end up.

surgeonfish
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I am new to the hobby with my system running since Dec 05. I have a 250g tank which is 48" deep that has created some challenges. I live in Lethbridge and don't know of any other reefers here. I would be interested in coming to Calgary to see how some of the local pros run their systems. The invitation is always open for anyone coming to windy Lethbridge to view my tank (I am always open to suggestions or positive criticism).

andrewsk
09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds great. You should really post some pics of your tank. We would love to see them.

danny zubot
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a 250g tank which is 48" deep that has created some challenges.

What are the other dims?

Snappy
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Looks like the interest in this is pretty limited so far. :confused:
I think we could still go ahead even if there are only a few of us. Just won't be as long of a day.

danny zubot
09-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Well, how many tanks are there so far to tour? If there are only a few of us perhaps we could throw in a mini frag swap too?

albert_dao
09-14-2006, 04:07 PM
There's a couple guys who have expressed interest with me at the store, they just haven't had a chance to post yet.

andrewsk
09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I think some people are waiting to post until we hear from Albert.

So lets do this. If you are interested in the tour or iIf you have a tank you would like to show, Please make a quick post here so we can get some numbers.

albert_dao
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Gary, you in?

Delphinus
09-14-2006, 04:42 PM
We have to express interest in the thread? I'm interested, but figured there was no need to post that I'm in because 1) it's rather self-evident and 2) as of this moment at least, there's no date/time for this thing. So agreeing that I'm interested or not interested seems a bit silly to me. I think the trick here is to figure out a time, then post about it. Otherwise it's a little like posting "well who wants a million dollars?" Of course people WANT it, but until there's an actual plan to deliver said million dollars, it's just wishful thinking.

albert_dao
09-14-2006, 04:43 PM
How's the end of this month sound?

AJ_77
09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
LOVE to see some large systems. I thought you were looking for responses from tank owners... but yeah, would be great to see and hear and learn. :smile:

Cap'n
09-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm interested in Tony's plan for a million dollars.

andrewsk
09-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, I was just responding to the comment that there was little interest so far.

Lets find out who would be willing to show their tanks first then.

Who do we have so far:

1. I can show my tank

Perodogo
09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
I'll be interested in showing my tank if the date and time will work out with our weekend schedule. I have 3 boys in hockey so weekends are always dicey. But until we can agree on a day and time, count me in as probable.

Cheers,
Rico

albert_dao
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Al is in for showing his tank.

What's up Greg?

andrewsk
09-14-2006, 07:18 PM
1. Keith 250 Gallon Mixed Saltwater Aquarium
2. Al
3. Rico 500+ gallon FOWLR Saltwater Aquarium

Snappy
09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Al is in for showing his tank.

What's up Greg?
My tank is on the small side of LARGE, but I talked with Al and I am happy to be part of the tour.
So anyway Albert yes count me in, although I believe I already said I was in earlier in this tread.:biggrin: See page 1.
(disclaimer) Albert I assume the above is what you meant by What's up? However if not, then I would say "Not too much. What's up with you"? And of course all this all depends on whether or not I am actually the Greg that you are addressing.:wink:

Snappy
09-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds good, count me in to host and participate in the tour.
Yep here is my posted response from earlier in the thread.:biggrin:

andrewsk
09-15-2006, 03:01 AM
2. Al
4. Greg

Lets get at least 2 more.

Snappy
09-15-2006, 04:55 AM
We have to express interest in the thread? I'm interested, but figured there was no need to post that I'm in because 1) it's rather self-evident and 2) as of this moment at least, there's no date/time for this thing. So agreeing that I'm interested or not interested seems a bit silly to me. I think the trick here is to figure out a time, then post about it. Otherwise it's a little like posting "well who wants a million dollars?" Of course people WANT it, but until there's an actual plan to deliver said million dollars, it's just wishful thinking.
In my humble opinion if there's no initial interest in the idea it makes one wonder whether or not it's worth trying to plan it. :biggrin: I am glad the interest is there. I for one am very interested in what these guys have for big tanks, livestock and systems. I think my set up is mostly filler in a tour like this but I am willing unless we end up with enough other volunteers.
I like Albert's idea for the month end. So folks are we then shooting for Saturday September 30th? Afternoon? Evening? Let's pick a time and date and confirm.

surgeonfish
09-15-2006, 05:34 AM
I would be interested. As I would have to come from Lethbridge, the weekend would work best and if during the day I could bring the family to the zoo at the same time (unless you get snow).
Surgeonfish

albert_dao
09-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Any day in the evening works for me. Weekends are especially good. If you guys start earlier, I can always meet up once I'm off work.

Here's a little bonus: I'll bring a raffle prize for one of the attendees.

Moogled
09-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Wa pow! Finally had a chance to take a look at this thread.

I am in as an attendee and will most likely be coming with Albert.

Snappy
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Any day in the evening works for me. Weekends are especially good. If you guys start earlier, I can always meet up once I'm off work.

You the man!

Quagmire
09-15-2006, 01:19 PM

Hope its not the skimmer I pre-paid for :cry:

Delphinus
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
In my humble opinion if there's no initial interest in the idea it makes one wonder whether or not it's worth trying to plan it. :biggrin:

Ah .. well .. Ok, I see. The only sort of counterpoint I could maybe offer is that .. well .. let's face it, we're all reef geeks here. I.e., "if you build it they will come." :wink: (I guarantee that there is more interest in this event than you can gather from who's posted here.) My only real hesitation about expressing interest in something that isn't arranged for is that for example, I could say, "Yes! I'm in for that!" and then it actually gets planned, and it's say, on a date that falls when I'm out of town or something. Then I would have to say "ohh.. gee, sorry, guess I'm out, have fun." That's why I was kinda hoping to see a date first.

FWIW, if it falls on a weekday evening, I'm very likely out.

andrewsk
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
How does the late afternoon/evening of Saturday Sept 30 sound?

2. Al 250 gal mixed tank
4. Greg 130 gal mixed reef
5. Mike 120g made with aragacrete!

Starting to get pretty cool!

albert_dao
09-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Hope its not the skimmer I pre-paid for :cry:

Hahah, ... what skimmer? L:OL!

It's should be here soon, btw.

sprinter
09-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I finally had a chance to add my two cents. Coaching football. Keith I have a 250 gal mixed tank. Al

albert_dao
09-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Okay, so how's Sunday, the 30th?

Snappy
09-16-2006, 07:04 AM
The 30th of September is a Saturday. If you want to do it on a Sunday I am most likely not able to be involved.

andrewsk
09-16-2006, 07:45 AM

Sunday is the 1st. Sat the 30th is looking like the day right now. Is there anyone who cannot do that day?

Snappy
09-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Sunday is the 1st. Sat the 30th is looking like the day right now. Is there anyone who cannot do that day?
Works for me.

Delphinus
09-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Err .. darn it, I just *knew* this would happen -- I've got a wedding to go to that weekend up in Edmonton (Sept. 30), I just got reminded of it this morning, won't be in town.

Guess I'm out guys. Sorry, I would really have enjoyed seeing your systems. Perhaps another time. :(

surgeonfish
09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I am still interested and willing to come in from Lethbridge on Sep 30 or Oct 1.

sprinter
09-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Keith, Lets go with Saturday Sept. 30 meeting at 1:00 pm. at my place in McKenzie. Will that work? Al

andrewsk
09-16-2006, 11:58 PM
I think albert was hoping we could start a little later.

albert_dao
09-17-2006, 12:36 AM
I can meet up with you guys after work. I'm off at 6.

AJ_77
09-17-2006, 04:35 AM
I think Albert deserves better consideration - I'm sure all would agree. Perhaps there could be a BBQ and beers from 1-6 PM, then Albert can drive the bus after that.

This sounds better and better all the time!

Snappy
09-17-2006, 06:54 AM
I think Albert deserves better consideration - I'm sure all would agree. Perhaps there could be a BBQ and beers from 1-6 PM, then Albert can drive the bus after that.

This sounds better and better all the time!

:idea:
I think Dennis should let him off work early since he will be out doing PR for the store and a lot of their customers will be on the tour so the store won't be busy anyway.:razz:
Maybe then we could start around 3:00 if Albert can get off by then.

Snappy
09-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Keith, Lets go with Saturday Sept. 30 meeting at 1:00 pm. at my place in McKenzie. Will that work? Al
After the people see your set up and fish room coming to my place will be very anticlimatic.:redface:

Snappy
09-19-2006, 03:55 AM
My Spousal Unit just informed me that later in the afternoon would work best for me as I am apparently double booked for earlier in the day.

Skimmer Juice
09-19-2006, 04:45 AM
I talked to albert today , but I dont no where to put my name up for the tour! Me and cory ( I HAVE CRABS) Want to go if albert can you put our name on there?

Snappy
09-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I think you should pm Keith or Al.

albert_dao
09-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Okay, here's the people I coming have thusfar:

Cody (stinky)
Cory (i_have_crabs)
Marco (moogled)

Gary, are you coming with me?

Anyone else want to come? PM me.

G1GY
09-20-2006, 03:42 AM

Cody (stinky)
Cory (i_have_crabs)
Marco (moogled)

I think I'll be able to go Albert. I'll let you know this week for sure. :)

surgeonfish
09-20-2006, 04:35 AM
pm sent

danny zubot
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Don't forget me.

Snappy
09-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Cody (stinky)
Cory (i_have_crabs)
Marco (moogled)

There are a few people earlier in the thread including Alan (AJ77) who said they wanted to attend

andrewsk
09-20-2006, 09:11 PM
There are a few people earlier in the thread including Alan (AJ77) who said they wanted to attend

Ill do up a list today or tomorrow. I am sick as a dog right now, so as soon as I can move.......

AJ_77
09-21-2006, 01:57 AM

Yup I did - thanks Greg. Would like to attend, if indeed it works out that I can on that day.

Did Albert rent the bus yet? :mrgreen:

vertex
09-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Good to see this coming together finally. I too agree with Sat Sept 30th as long as its after 2-3PM or so... Will be out riding the mountains before that. Sunday would be OK here as well.

Anyway Albert, thanks for the suggestion to Connie (Finaddict, my wife for those who don't know) to show my tank. Its a 120G 4x2x2 with nearly 100% home made rock. All you guys can consider it the affordable system in the bunch I'm sure. No expensive equipment, no excess complex filters or additives, and no stoneys or difficult corals. Its the lazy man's easy going tank...

:biggrin:

JOSH
09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
that is a really nice tank, lots of neat corals and fish

Snappy
09-23-2006, 09:37 PM
We have only a week before the tour. Everybody ready? Do we have an exact time yet? Do we have an order of appearance in the tour? ect.?

AndyL
09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm game to go - 30th/1st works for me... How are we working the driving situation; 10-20 cars don't fit in many of these neighbourhoods...

Andy

Snappy
09-24-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm game to go - 30th/1st works for me... How are we working the driving situation; 10-20 cars don't fit in many of these neighbourhoods...

Andy
We'll meet by Al's and car pool from there. See the earlier post in the thread for details.

andrewsk
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi all. I have the tentative list of those who will be attending the tour and those who will be showing their tanks. Please look over the list and confirm that you are on. If you are not able to attend, please let me know so I can remove you from the list.

Timing so far looks to be Saturday Evening. (Depending when Albert can get off of work).

So lets firm up a time and meeting place as well. Albert, when will you be free?

Andy L
Snappy
JOSH
vertex
AJ 77
Danny Zubot
surgeonfish
G1GY
andrewsk
Keith
stinky
I have crabs
sprinter
Moogled
perodogo
canuckzilla
finnaddict/vertex

Tanks to be viewed:

2. Al 250 gal mixed tank
4. Greg 130 gal mixed reef
5. Mike 120g made with aragacrete!

albert_dao
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm free after six, but strongly urging that you guys start ahead of me since I've seen most of those tanks already.

Keith, can you PM me with your cell? I know the last four digits, but the first three... Yeah...

Perodogo
09-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Sorry people, but I just got our hockey practice/evaluation schedule for this weekend last night and it looks like I'll be camping at the arena on Saturday and Sunday with all my 3 boys having practice times. Then after that, two of my boys will be altar serving on Saturday night. So, I'm sorry I won't be able to show my tank this weekend.

Regards,
Rico

andrewsk
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
I have suddenly run into a small problem myself in that our house is being tiled Friday and we cannot walk on the tile until Sunday.

Would it make more sense to switch this to next weekend if Perodogo can show his tank?

Perodogo
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Sorry, but next Saturday is not good as well (have to attend a wedding). Unless we do it next Sunday.

Regards,
Rico

Snappy
09-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Sorry. I am also having problems. I just got back from being away for 8 days and my tank is a huge mess.:twised: Between a giant algae & cyano bloom, RTN and a bunch of stuff that fell to the bottom and turned brown, my tank will not be ready for show & tell this weekend. I'm out of the running for a while.

albert_dao
09-28-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm up for any day really. Since a few key players are out for the count, I think it would be fair to reschedule once the horizon looks a little clearer.

How's about we all see where everyone's standing in two week's time? That should be plenty of notice to figure things out.

surgeonfish
09-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Oh well. Since I was planning on coming to Calgary for the tour, I will keep my plans and buy some coral instead (it's already been a week since i got my cabbage coral, naso tang and flame angel).

Richard_Dicosimo
09-29-2006, 05:36 AM
i would be interested in joining the tour aswell, and could possably show my tank its a 200 gal display reef, but its just been recently setup (about 2 months)
i have been pretty busy at work so its not very impressive as of yet.

but i have a Large bar in my basement and a pretty big big screen so maybe my house could be the last house?

Richard

andrewsk
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, it looks like we will postpone this for 2 weeks due to tanks being unavailable.

If you cannot still show your tank in 2 weeks or will not be attending, please let me know and ill remove you from the list.

Richard, you have been added to the tour to show your tank. Thanks.

Delphinus
09-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Don't know if this helps aid to the confusion, but you can add me to the list as an attendee now since I shouldn't be at a wedding in Edmonton on that weekend as well :)

Pescador
09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
If you are going to be in Mackenzie, you are welcome to see my 220 in Mackenzie Towne. Parking is an issue but we can work it out.

andrewsk
09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
If you are going to be in Mackenzie, you are welcome to see my 220 in Mackenzie Towne. Parking is an issue but we can work it out.

Sounds great. Thanks

Richard_Dicosimo
09-30-2006, 04:43 AM
so whats the date then October 14th or 15th or 16th?

Richard

Quagmire
09-30-2006, 04:55 AM

Very nice tank,I believe I helped him move.

sprinter
10-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Andrew we should add the tank in McKenzie town to the tour. I think Snappy should be ok in 2 weeks, I hope. Al

Snappy
10-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Parking is an issue but we can work it out.

That is why we are doing the car pool thing,:biggrin: most neighbourhoods have the same problem.

andrewsk
10-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Oct 14

kwirky
10-02-2006, 05:24 AM
would it be too late to ask if I could tag along?

sprinter
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Andrew, We can arrange to meet at my place as we can organize the car pool from here. I live beside the comminuty centre where there is lots of parking and only a half a block away. Your thoughts, Al

Perodogo
10-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Again, I'm sorry, but Oct. 14 will not work out for me. I Thought the wedding we're supposed to attend is this weekend but I was wrong. Please remove me from the list.

Regards,
Rico

surgeonfish
10-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Sorry, Oct 14 also doesn't work for me either.

Snappy
10-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Are we still on for Oct 14 and if so what time are we meeting at Al's? My tank isn't much to look at the moment as I am having some lighting problems, as well as other things, however the show must go on. Mine can be an example of what happens when a bunch of the things that can go wrong do and all at once.

albert_dao
10-10-2006, 06:08 AM
I'm in.

Skimmer Juice
10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
14 is good.

i have crabs
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
im good aswell

Moogled
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Count me out. I have work.

G1GY
10-12-2006, 04:10 AM
I can't make it either. :(

UFC 64 is that night. :)

AJ_77
10-12-2006, 04:31 AM
I am also unavailable this Saturday - but thanks anyways.

Alan

albert_dao
10-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Okay, I'm going to make a new thread with a poll on availability.