PDA

View Full Version : snail shock?

JOSH
09-11-2006, 03:36 AM
when adding new snails how long does it take before they start moving? i added four today and 30 min later only one started to move.

howdy20012002
09-11-2006, 04:26 AM
how long did u acclimitize them for?
you slowly added more and more of your tank water to their bag right?
It can take a while for them to move however

JOSH
09-11-2006, 04:34 AM
yeah i let the temp get exact and hen added water

howdy20012002
09-11-2006, 04:49 AM
a few times?
Inverts are much more susceptible to water changes than fish and corals
Not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to help
Neal

JOSH
09-11-2006, 05:15 AM
well i am new at this, but i did the same thing to the hermits and they all are okay.

howdy20012002
09-11-2006, 05:23 AM
hermits are way easier to acclimatize
Snails you should slowly add more and more water over a couple of hours.
Hermits are much more durable and you could probably just get away with just throwing them in.
Starfish are one of the most finicky things to acclimatize.
It is always better to be on the side of caution and go slow.

StirCrazy
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
a few times?
Inverts are much more susceptible to water changes than fish and corals
Not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to help
Neal

one thing I have learned is snails and hermits don't apply to this rule. Snails will actually acclimate themselves to water changes by sealing off there shell and slowly letting in water to adjust.

I have learned this by both reading articles and personal experience, as I had my reef turn into a fresh water tank for 3 or 4 days while I was on holidays and I only lost 10% of my snails and even less hermits. now I would like to say this was the only time this happened but 2 weeks later it happened again but only for about 24 hours.. I lost a couple more at this time but about 1/2 still survived.

when I add new snails to a tank I used to do a drip method and I found I lost quite a few in the week after purchase.. now I simply drain them into a strainer, let them sit in the air for about 1 or 2 min and drop them into the tank, my losses have been significantly reduced using this method.

Steve