PDA

View Full Version : How do I start a nano...

MikeP
09-11-2006, 02:18 AM
I have a 1 gal tank with a lid and light. How difficult would it be to make into a nano? What other equiptment do I need? Is a mechanical filter required?

Thanks

JOSH
09-12-2006, 01:37 AM
some people just use a small powerhead and turn down the flow, there are mini filters you can use as well. you can use a table lanp with a CF 50/50 bulb for lighting, it all depends on what you want to keep in it, its hard to keep such a small tank stable

christyf5
09-12-2006, 02:19 AM
I would imagine the hardest thing with a tank that size would be keeping up with the evaporation. I have a 5 gallon nano and I set up a top off system because it loses about 250-500 ml a day when its warm out, not to mention the heat the powerhead is adding to the tank.

You could certainly get set up easily by putting an aquaclear mini on the back to run carbon etc. It would also help provide flow to the tank.

A nano is pretty easy to set up and depending on what kind of lighting you have you will most likely be limited in what you can keep in there. They're still pretty fun to set up though :biggrin:

MikeP
09-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Come to think of it the 1gal is pretty small. This tank would be for my desk at work. I just found out I'm moving offices so a 2.5g or 5g is more likely cause I will get a bigger desk. Could I use a aquaclear mini for flow and a desklamp for light? Is that all I would need? What about a heater? Also would it survive over a weekend when I'm not there?

Thanks

fishmanty
09-12-2006, 04:29 AM
For heaters, you may not need one. If you put a small powerhead in there, it may have enough heat to keep a small tank well heated. If not, they make 25watt and 50watt heaters. They are rather small.

Its also a great idea to set up a small sump, to add volume to the small tank. That way its easier to keep the system stable.

I have a small 5.5gallon you could buy if you wanted something small. Its a hagen, comes with canopy. (which you would probably not need, as its better to use a light like cristy is here (Nice tank btw):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/DSCN5881.jpg

That way you don't need a top (Its better not to have one... more light goes in), and when its up high like that, the heat of the bulbs don't effect the heat of the tank much.

christyf5
09-12-2006, 04:32 AM
When I first started my nano I used an aquaclear mini to help clear all the sand and particulates out of the water, I would have left it on but there isn't all that much clearance behind the tank where i have it located on my desk. I would definitely think about using an aquaclear mini for circulation as its mounted behind the tank and you don't need to have some sort of powerhead inside the tank (which I think would be kind of difficult as most are too powerful for a tank that size IMO). Just watch if you are using a sponge filter in it as it will eventually produce nitrates (i just had mine in to clear the water and then took it out and ran the aquaclear with carbon only for a few days.

As for a heater, well I'm not really too sure what you'd do about that. I'm using a 50w heater in my little tank. When I was running one of those Azoo half gallon tanks I used a 7w heater and an ikea dimmer switch set at 50% to keep the tank at the right temperature (the heater didn't have a controller on it). As for when you're away the tank should be pretty much self sufficient, depending on what you put in it you could either decrease the photoperiod on the weekends or set up some sort of "auto" top off. I have a kent aquadoser left over from my early days. It has an IV type drip system that I have throttled back to about a single drip per couple of seconds. I'd much rather do that than have to add water every day, this way I can just add water once a week to the aquadoser and it will do the work for me :biggrin:

MikeP
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a small 5.5gallon you could buy if you wanted something small. Its a hagen, comes with canopy. (which you would probably not need, as its better to use a light like cristy is here (Nice tank btw):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/DSCN5881.jpg

Thanks for the offer Ty. I think I have almost everything I need to get one going. I will let you know if my 5g doesn't work out though.

kwirky
09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
How are you planning to light it? I recommend figuring out a way to deal with top-off water if you're using bright light, like PC lighting. 1 gallon of water will evaporate quickly unless you cover it well, or have a way to drip water in.

By the way, a Hydor is a great way to stir up some turbulence in the tank, aiding in water flow, without putting in extra power heads, since you have little space to begin with

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/pumps.php?product_ID=hy-wrd

Keep in mind, a tank that small probably won't hold a fish. It would be great for a few inverts though! :)

gbeef
10-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Hydor Rotating Water Deflector
is anyone useing one of these how do they work? how do you find them?

skylord
10-09-2006, 06:31 AM
I am using one on a Maxijet 1200 in my 75g and was really surprised at how well it works.

Farrmanchu
10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I did a 1 Gallon Pico with a Coralife 50/50 10Watt bulb, and an AQ Mini HOB. No heater, the HOB and light is enough to keep the temp between 79 and 81 (day/night). It's been running for a couple months, no huge growth in the Corals, but nothing got dead.

Farrmanchu
10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Farrman/48fcbc68.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Farrman/7348a31c.jpg
The HOB is full of LR rubble, top up done every day or two, 20% WC at least once a week (with a turkey baster, takes like 2 minutes). If you go bigger, use a bigger HOB, and maybe a small powerhead. If you get the right sized equipment, you won't need a heater, the pump motors take care of it.