PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Bubbles .... in the Tank

Beverly
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Ever since we changed from using a pair of Hamilton 175w 10,000k bulbs to two Ushio 175w 10,000k bulbs, we've been getting tons of microbubbles in the afternoon and evening in our 120g. The MHs are on only 9 hours a day, with PC and NO actinics on for 12 hours.

This tank has no sump, refugium or skimmer to generate bubbles. The bubbles appear to be the product of photosynthesis and are probably bubbles of O2. Anyway, they are annoying me, but corals, BTAs and fish do not seem to be bothered.

Any ideas about reducing these bubbles? Out darned bubbles, out!

TIA :)

Beverly
09-12-2006, 01:30 AM
What? Nobody has any suggestions?

The bubbles are coming from various non-invasive macroalgae that I have in the tank to utilize nutrients.

christyf5
09-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Take out the macroalgae or reduce the photoperiod. There isn't much you can do if the algae wants to grow, it will make the bubbles, its what they do :wink:

Can you put the algae in another compartment of the tank? Say an aquaclear hanging off the back or something??

Beverly
09-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Agreed that macroalgae will make bubbles. Just never had so many before in any of our past reefs with about as much lighting and MA. Most of the MA is growing from large rocks so they can't really be put into a HOB. Actually, don't think I can hang anything on the back of that tank due to the Eurobracing :(

Was wondering if any of the DIY-selfers had any bubble-trap ideas? Am using Hagen 802s with a modified (smaller) prefilter.