PDA

View Full Version : How to DIY Sump/Fuge?

Twisted-1
09-08-2006, 01:15 AM
What is the best way to make a sump/fuge? I've heard of just using an existing tank and adding baffles but would they have to be glass or can you use acrylic? If so how do you conect them. Silicone doesn't work from what I read. This seems to be simplest and pretty much garantees no leaks. If you use glass does silicone work good/ best.

Keep in mind I am an ordinary person, looking for a realistic and basic way to build one.

Midknight
09-08-2006, 01:40 AM
This guys is the greatest.
Easy you understand and some great ideas.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Glennrf38
09-08-2006, 01:44 AM
I used a 20 gallon and just used plexiglass for baffles. I attached the plexiglass with "poster hangers" and silicon. Some leakage but not too bad.

Twisted-1
09-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah he is good, I already checked him out and I think abit too advanced for a first try at it. Seems do-able but I'm Just a bit worried about leaking when building the main part of the tank. Kinda want to keep away from building it completely from scratch also.

For the poster holders did you silicone them in first then slide the plexi in?

Midknight
09-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Then Glennrf38 ideas is the best. take an old tand and add some baffeles and away you go.

Glennrf38
09-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Why worry about leakage. My old tank doesn't leak. Just the baffles a bit. But the water seems to keep flowing where it is supposed to go.

Rikko
09-08-2006, 05:12 AM
What is the best way to make a sump/fuge? I've heard of just using an existing tank and adding baffles but would they have to be glass or can you use acrylic? If so how do you conect them. Silicone doesn't work from what I read. This seems to be simplest and pretty much garantees no leaks. If you use glass does silicone work good/ best.

Keep in mind I am an ordinary person, looking for a realistic and basic way to build one.

Siliconing glass to acrylic works fine here - it's virtually a zero-pressure seal since there's water on both sides of the baffle, so it's not testing the strength at all. I would do just that.

Now, building a tank with mixed acrylic and glass panes, on the other hand.... Disaster.

But baffles? Go nuts.

Twisted-1
09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Sound good. As long as it can hold the baffles.

So just to be sure, I can use the acrylic you would find at Hardware stores like Home Depot or Rona, or does it have to be a special type?

Midknight
09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I use glass a lot. It is cheaper as I use dead tanks or glass from old picuters.
Just need a glass cutter and away you go.