PDA

View Full Version : Workhorse T5

Shipwreck
09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows if the Workhorse 7 will fire T5s in the same overdriven maner as the IceCap? Their website does say it will fire T5's but does not mention overdriving them.

How do you make an IceCap overdrive the lamp or does it do it because it does not auto sense the lamp type?

I emailed Fullam several days ago but they have not responded. I assume since overdriving is not endorsed.

Any experience with the Workhorse ballasts long term?

albert_dao
09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Workhorse ballast are hard on the startup and will shorten the life of your bulbs rather significantly. They will not overdrive HO T5's.

The IceCap 440 and 660 will naturally overdrive your bulbs. There's no adjustments to be made to the ballast (actually, I have one right in front of me. But I'm using it as a paperweight for the time being since I don't have any of the other parts yet).

IceCap claims that overdriving will not shorten the life of your bulb as long as you're running them properly (read: keeping them as cool as possible). Everything I've read lends credence to this claim.

Shipwreck
09-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

The IceCap 440 and 660 will naturally overdrive your bulbs. There's no adjustments to be made to the ballast .

How do they "naturally" overdrive the bulb? I realize that a 440 will put out 330w but a WH7 will do 220w. 2 4' T5's are only 108w total so the wh7 still has double the required power, wouldn't this be enough?

IceCap claims that overdriving will not shorten the life of your bulb as long as you're running them properly (read: keeping them as cool as possible). Everything I've read lends credence to this claim.

Where do you see this? I have went throught the icecap website and other then the T5 encaps I didn't find any other mention of T5s.

albert_dao
09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
The ballast is designed for VHO T12's. When you slap them onto HO T5's, they overdrive. As far as the workhorse goes, I couldn't say as I'm only repeating what I've read in the past.

Regarding the IceCap claims, I asked ASH on RC in the support forums like a year and a half ago. That was the reply he gave me and many others. If you go into the HUGE T5 thread there, you'll find a lot of user reviews that will substantiate the claim.