PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Pure salt

danny zubot
09-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Has anyone tried Ocean Pure salt?

I've heard that its really good so I thought I'd try some. Seems to disolve quite fast, and a bit less is needed to achieve the salinity required.

Jason McK
09-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I have been using it. I have mixing results from Kent and tomorrow should have the just mixed results from Ocean Pure. I agree it mixes really nice.

I've been switching from Kent to OP so I've been cutting the kent with great and greater amounts of OP. Results soon

I would also like to know the results of the OP PRO stuff.

J

andrewsk
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I am using OP Pro. What results would you like?

PH
Alk
Calcium

I guess I could just do the entire Salifert Tests on them tonight.

danny zubot
09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm using the OP Pro salt as well.

When mixing a 5 gallon bucket I found that the usual 5 scoops (2.5 cups) gave me a salinity reading of 33ppt as opposed to 31ppt with IO salt.

Quagmire
09-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Heres what I got from testing right after mixing and testing again 24hr later.I had some Ca precip on the inside of my mixing pail (32g Brute garbage can)So the second CA test wasn't very reliable.

New salt=Oceanpure Pro
Fresh mix
ca = 380
alk= 12/4.28
mg = >1400 color changed to dark purple/tinge of blue rather than grey/blue tested 2x
no3= .5

New Salt @24hrs
ca = N/A picked up precip from mixing container tested 2x,first was 500,second no color change.
alk= 11.8/4.23
mg = 1470 definate color change this time
no3= .5

would be interested to see others test results so I know mine aren't wonky.Looks good tho if they are right.

dirtyreefer
09-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Hmmm wonder why you're getting NO3 readings, that's not a good sign... Do you have a high sensitivity PO4 kit (Merck, Hach etc.)?

Quagmire
09-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Hmmm wonder why you're getting NO3 readings, that's not a good sign... Do you have a high sensitivity PO4 kit (Merck, Hach etc.)?

.5 no3 isn't a problem,My no3 generaly tests around 5-10 ppm before w/c,so given that,Im still exporting alot more than Im importing with a water change.The first test I used untreated tap water to mix the salt,because I just mixed up a glassfull to get the test results.I thought at first that was the cause.But the second test after 24hrs was going into the tank,so it was filtered water.Now Im thinking maybe a dirty test tube,or something like that.No PO4 kit,the cheap ones dont work and the expencive ones cost around the same as a phos reactor.So I got the reactor and grow Chaeto.

niloc16
09-08-2006, 04:30 AM
i used to use OP when i started my tank a year ago and 2 bags of salt that the calcium precipitated. they replaced the bags free of charge but i didnt want to risk it anymore and switched to IO.

albert_dao
09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
i used to use OP when i started my tank a year ago and 2 bags of salt that the calcium precipitated. they replaced the bags free of charge but i didnt want to risk it anymore and switched to IO.

It's funny, because I have the same sentiment about IO, lol.

danny zubot
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I tested my tank levels last night after about a 20% water change with it. Can't really comment in a scientific way because I didn't test first but I was suprosed by one result. My Mg was around 1280ppm before the water change, and last night it read 1360! Finally a salt that actually supports Mg.

Nate
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I have now tried it out on three tanks, and everything seems alright...

I think I will be switching a few more of my customers tanks to it to continue with the experimenting...

but so far everything looks quite normal.

Nate