PDA

View Full Version : Which skimmer for my 190g?

MikeP
09-07-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm in research mode for a skimmer for my 190g. I would like recomendations including models and prices if possible. I'm still a newbie so please include any info you think is helpful. I'm not made of money but I also don't want to buy junk.

Thanks for any replies

PS I will consider buying used as well

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-07-2006, 06:07 AM
I, TomR & several other reefers have been using the ASM line of skimmers & are very happy with them. An ASM G3 would do for your size tank, unless its gonna be heavily stocked then you might want to upgrade to a bigger model.

Euroreefs are also very highly regarded, just pricier. ASM is better bang for the buck, IMO.

Anthony

albert_dao
09-07-2006, 06:20 AM
EuroReef RS series is actually the same price as the ASM's. Some of the models are even cheaper by a couple bucks.

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2006, 06:33 AM
EuroReef RS series is actually the same price as the ASM's. Some of the models are even cheaper by a couple bucks.
Haha....beat me by that much. - Max Smart.

Yes, the EuroReefs have come down in price. Not almost double the cost of an ASM anymore, like they once were.

Check it out:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=ps-errs250

Cheers:smile:,

fkshiu
09-07-2006, 08:37 PM
The Euroreef has three lines of skimmers: RS, CS and RC (in ascending price).

To my understanding, they are all the same basic needle-wheel design of which ASM (and others) are clones of.

The difference is construction and pumps and recirculation options.

The RS series is made of cheaper plastic and has cheaper construction (I think exactly the same as the ASMs) than the CS series. Essentially, the RS series is a clone of the ASM cloning of the CS series!

The RC series is built like the CS series and adds re-circulation.

The smaller Euroreef skimmers (all lines) and all ASMs use Sedra pumps. The bigger Euroreefs use Gen-X pumps (supposedly more powerful than Sedras) and will reportedly have Eheim pumps available soon (definitely better than Sedras).

http://www.euro-reef.com/products-skimmerstechspec.shtml

Joe Reefer
09-07-2006, 09:54 PM
You could also look into getting a beckett skimmer or maybe something like this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/helgoland-skimmer2.jpg

MikeP
09-09-2006, 06:47 AM
You could also look into getting a beckett skimmer or maybe something like this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/helgoland-skimmer2.jpg

Not sure if I'll have the space. I will double check my measurements :mrgreen:

FishFun
09-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I am running a bullet 3 buy PM (beckett style) & its awsome, I was kinda worried from what I was told about beckett style, but the bullet injector is awsome!!!! Works great & once its set there is no need to touch it again unless you want to change how much its skimming. One drawback is a big pump to run it but its worth it. Just my 2 cents..

Ruth
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I believe you are setting up your system with a sump so you can go with an in-sump or external skimmer - it depend on how much room you have in your sump to house a skimmer - also depends on how your system is set up whether you will be able to run an external skimmer.
As has been stated above the ASM and Euroreef skimmers have very good reviews and again depending on how your system is set up - how heavy you plan on stocking it etc - you can go with either a Euroreef or ASM (actually I believe ASM is limited to in-sump only but some of the larger Euroreefs can be set up externally)
Your system is quite large so I would definately go with one of the larger skimmers. If you decide to go with an ASM I would definately get a G-4X with the recirculating mod. I have used a number of ASM skimmers and IMO the G4X with the recirculating mod is the most efficient and effective. I have never owned a Euroreef but from what I have read their tank size rating is very close to accurate whereas IME most other skimmers rate their skimmer for a tank twice the size it is actually capable of effectively skimming.
I am a big proponent of heavy skimming so I always go for a skimmer that is rated for at least twice the size of the actual system I am putting it on (except for small nano tanks that I don't skim at all - just large, frequent water changes)
HTH

albert_dao
09-10-2006, 01:14 AM
I read that the Elos NS series of skimmers is VERY good.